We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting islands

sudbury ontario
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting islands

I am looking for advise on which islands i.e. Saltspring, would make good day trips.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,303 posts
444 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting islands

Hi,

As you've posted on the Victoria Forum I'm assuming you mean day trips from Victoria?

Saltspring is your most convenient as there is frequent service to the Island and as it is the most populated there are more things to do. The Saturday Market is legendary. Ruckles Park is a great spot to spend a few hours at.

I also really like Pender Island and there is a good service to and from Pender from Swartz Bay.

Good luck planning!

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
748 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting islands

Not sure how you are getting to Vancouver Island or how many day trips you are planning but something to consider is the BC Ferries Sail Pass: bcferries.com/travel_planning/SailPass.html

It allows you to travel on an unlimited number of sailings over a selected period of time - 4 days or 7 days.

Here is a list of sailings included:

bcferries.com/travel_planning/20routes.html

bcferries.com/files/travelplanning/BCF_Route…

The above map is also a good map to get an understanding where the various islands are located.

From my calculations you would save money if within 7 days you are taking a ferry to Vancouver Island, a ferry to Salt Spring, a ferry back to Vancouver Island and a ferry back to the mainland.

Only tricky part is that you can not purchase the Sail Pass at ferry terminals. You can purchase it online or at a tourist information centre.

3. Re: Visiting islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 08:24