We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid September weather

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nokomis, Florida
Level Contributor
270 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mid September weather

We will be in Victoria & Vancouver for about 10 days in mid September. Can anyone tell us what the F temps will likely be then and what the weather in general will be? We live in Florida and need to know what to pack. Thanks for any help.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid September weather

For historical weather data for Victoria go to the Wunderground link below. In the bottom left hand corner is a box entitled History & Almanac. Change the city to Vancouver for that info.

My rule of thumb is if I do not get my outdoor painting done by the 3rd week of September then I will have to wait until around May or so to get 3 consecutive days of non-rainy weather.

wunderground.com/global/stations/71799.html

Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid September weather

My favorite time of year and I love the temperature, there is a bit of crispness in the air. Being from Florida you will probably find it anywhere from cool to cold? It depends on the person, but I'm used to friends coming from southern California who think they are freezing when it is between 50 and 60F on the island.

There can be days in September where it is warm and pleasant in the day still, but it will always cool off at night. (again what is warm in the day to us, might differ from what you consider warm) Best to bring layers of a sweater and light jacket to put on and take off as you need to and yes bring or buy an umbrella when you arrive you are coming to a temperate rain forest where rain can occur during any time of the year.

Cheers

Nokomis, Florida
Level Contributor
270 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid September weather

Thank you so much for the replies. This will help our packing. We lived in Western NY for many years so we are familiar with the cold.

Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mid September weather

You'll be fine then, enjoy your trip:)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,822 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mid September weather

Victoria is usually windy to some degree. From a slight breeze to flags straight out at 90° from the flagpole. It can be refreshing or it can make your eyes sting.

Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
236 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mid September weather

Hello gwhitti,

You can have days that are very warm( mid to upper 70's), but cool at night (upper 40's to low 50's). We tend to get an Indian summer most years, so shorts and and t-sirts are a good idea, but plan for rain and cool days as well.

Enjoy your stay.

Chris

Nokomis, Florida
Level Contributor
270 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mid September weather

Thank you again. We were wondering whether to pack shorts at all.

Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mid September weather

It really depends if you are a "shorts" person. I rarely wear shorts all through the summer, as a female I like capri pants. My husband wears shorts only if it gets really warm. Then there are people I know who live on Vancouver Island the west coast who practically live in shorts for half the year.

When we travel and are unsure of the weather my husband usually packs one pair of cargo style pants that have the zip off legs. That way he at least has one pair of shorts.

Cheers

Nokomis, Florida
Level Contributor
270 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mid September weather

We live in SW Florida near the beach year round. Shorts are the "uniform" of the day for 80% of the people who live here. Long pants are mainly worn only by people whose work demands it. Here shorts are not a sign of age, social status, or hipness. It's just the accepted dress in most situations. My concern is would it be cold and uncomfortable wearing them in the northwest in September. The cargo pants zip off type is a good suggestion. I will buy a pair of those and be set. Thanks again.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,945 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mid September weather

Mid September is more often than not shorts weather here. On some afternoons we'll be found swimming at the local beach... bring the shorts but don't *just* bring shorts. ;)