We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heading to Vancouver and want to know the island best for me

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Heading to Vancouver and want to know the island best for me

We have 4 days in Vancouver (driving from Seattle). We love the beach and love to to outdoor things. All girls in there early 30's so just needed advice on best island and places to stay.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heading to Vancouver and want to know the island best for me

Welcome to the Forum.

Are you referring to the Gulf Islands, Vancouver Island, Sunshine Coast or the San Juan Islands?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,198 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heading to Vancouver and want to know the island best for me

You have four days in Vancouver. Ok, well, Vancouver isn't an island, its a large city on the mainland, and it has beaches. Are you looking to spend four days in Vancouver, or to get out of Vancouver for four days and go to an island instead? Four days isn't much time, so I think its an either/or kind of thing. Only Bowen Island is a realistic day trip, and its not really known for its beaches.

Best beaches around Vancouver include anything around English Bay (either the Stanley Park side or anything along the Point Grey side between Kitsilano and Wreck Beach), on the north shore there is Ambleside, there are several good beaches around Boundary Bay, with Centennial Beach winning a prize recently for being one of the best in the region, and then we have several really good lake beaches at places like Buntzen Lake, Sasamat Lake (where the vampires came out of the water in the last Twilight movie), and points east from there. Lots to choose from.

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
2,923 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Heading to Vancouver and want to know the island best for me

Just to clarify as Dave's post implies that the Sunshine Coast is an island (as he has grouped it with other islands) - it is not. Part of the mainland actually - just only accessible by boat or plane which makes many think it's an island. Apparently the adventurous can try to make the trip via automobile but it is not advised. Old logging roads have old bridges. Not a good combo.

Lot's goes on outdoors - what kind of outdoor things are you referring to?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,198 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heading to Vancouver and want to know the island best for me

I didn't know you could come around the top side by road. I've seen a photo essay of a hiking trip from just outside Pemberton to the top end of Princess Louisa Inlet, which looked spectacular, but definitely no roads that way!

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heading to Vancouver and want to know the island best for me

Sorry for the implication. I realize it's not an island but was just trying to figure out what the OP was looking for :-)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,945 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heading to Vancouver and want to know the island best for me

You do realize that you don't have to leave Vancouver in order to experience outdoor activities or beaches, right? :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,822 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heading to Vancouver and want to know the island best for me

www.vancouverinfocenter.com/list2.php…

Actually, I just noticed that you are on the Victoria Forum asking about coming to Vancouver. We are 4 hours by land/ferry away from each other.

http://tinyurl.com/6ep4hqa

Edited: 18 May 2011, 06:57
8. Re: Heading to Vancouver and want to know the island best for me

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2012, 07:32