We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Options to get from Seattle to Victoria?

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Options to get from Seattle to Victoria?

Wondering what all my options are for travel from Seattle to Victoria without a car? Ferry sounds long and expensive plus might not be real conducive for someone that tends to get a little seasick. Is there a route via bus? Can also train/bus to Vancouver from Seattle and head to Victoria from there? Will be flying in/out of Seattle but aren't planning on staying in the city - flight options/fares just worked better for our schedule.

Thank you in advance!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,510 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Options to get from Seattle to Victoria?

there is an extensive article on getting to victoria on the Seattle forum. Look at top right top questions.

From Seattle its easy to take the Victoria clipper without a car. You could also take Amtrak to Vancouver and bus to Victoria. I'm in Vanc today and driving to Victoria. It takes almost as long from Vanc as from Seattle, however if you want to make a circle trip out of it its easy to take the train to Vancouver then come home on the Clipper. You don't really need a car in Victoria or simply wait and rent it once your in Victoria.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,716 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Options to get from Seattle to Victoria?

Hi juanita ~

For the benefit of others who might reply to your question, I know you've posted another thread on the Vancouver Forum with great background information about your visit here.

To get to Victoria from either Seattle or from Vancouver you will need to take a ferry. Or fly.

Edited: 30 May 2011, 02:22
Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Options to get from Seattle to Victoria?

Actually it is possible to bus from Seattle to Port Angeles, and walk on the Coho ferry to Victoria ... a scenic trip but not something I would recommend unless you are a bit short of money and have time on your hands.

Keep asking questions!

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
10,920 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Options to get from Seattle to Victoria?

tennis jazz is right about the bus BUT you still have to either ferry or fly..there are no bridges to vancouver Island

Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
236 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Options to get from Seattle to Victoria?

Hello Juanita,

The Anacortes ferry will be your best option for cheaper travel. This will take you to Sidney BC and then its a 25 minute drive to Victoria.

Safe travels

Chris

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,716 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Options to get from Seattle to Victoria?

Without a car, the Victoria Clipper would likely be the best bet for your 5 people, a 3 hour catamaran ride right to the downtown harbour in Victoria.

Have a look at this product. I use their NoJetLag for long flights - excellent. I've never tried the motion sickness product. There are 5 reviews on what is a Magellan site, but all the same take them with or without a grain of salt.

magellans.com/store/In_Flight_Comfort___In_F…

And here is the actual product information, including ingredient information (as in: technical specifications!):

http://www.tripease.org/index.html

Edited: 31 May 2011, 18:15
Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Options to get from Seattle to Victoria?

Thanks all for your input. Looks like we'll most likely take the Victoria Clipper back to the Seattle area. The boat ride appears a bit different than miles-and-miles of sailing in the open ocean. Appreciate the tip on the 'Trip Ease' product as well. Hubby has tried just about everything but we'll give it a try.

Looks like for our first visit to the area we'll be heading north to Vancouver first, stay a few days, travel to Whistler, then Victoria and head back to Seattle via the Cipper for our flight home to the desert.

More questions to follow, I'm sure.... :)

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
238 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Options to get from Seattle to Victoria?

I get motion sick very easily. Have taken the Victoria Clipper quite a few times and have never gotten sick. I sit in the lower level towards the center of the boat where there is less motion. I bring candied ginger just in case and like to have a coke or ginger ale to sip on. I don't read, play cards, etc., just watch the grand scenery. I've been known to go on the deck for the fresh air. The trip is wonderful going through the San Juans. Good luck.

Palmerston North...
Level Contributor
11 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Options to get from Seattle to Victoria?

We travelled by the Clipper ferry from Seattle to Victoria, seeming to be the obvious and quickest way. I don't like boats that move a lot - but this was a smooth ride and I wondered what I was worried about.

Sat downstairs by window and enjoyed the views.

Direct and quick.

Then no need for a car in Victoria, so much to see and do all within walking distance of the inner harbour where the Clipper docks.

10. Re: Options to get from Seattle to Victoria?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2012, 05:31