We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Butchart Gardens, how much time to allow?

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Butchart Gardens, how much time to allow?

How much time should we allow for a visit to Butchart Gardens? Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,316 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Butchart Gardens, how much time to allow?

1 - 3 hours, depending on whether you want to "motor" right along or wander casually through, visit the gift shop, have a bite/coffee in the Blue Poppy Cafeteria, sit and listen to the summer entertainment. It's 22 ha (55 acres) big.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Butchart Gardens, how much time to allow?

If you go late afternoon, early evening, you could view the entertainment alluded to above, followed by the night lighting. See their website for description and remember that it gets dark quite late at these latitudes.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,316 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Butchart Gardens, how much time to allow?

I think the night lighting is a great idea. Magical. Over the month of August, the sunset time range is 8:52 to 7:52. (7:52 Ouch! that means fall is coming. Right now the sun sets around 9:15)

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,572 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Butchart Gardens, how much time to allow?

when I let people off at Butchart I plan a loose meet up time. I've yet to have anyone spend over 90 minutes and they saw everything and were satisfied with the time spent. Also going late in the day allows for more time viewing and less time fighting crowds so you can see more in a shorter time. Anytime after about 2-3 pm is ideal.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,434 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Butchart Gardens, how much time to allow?

David - interesting. I guess that's why I hate doing tours - I always feel so rushed! ;> I'm not a big gardens person, but we were there for three hours, and we didn't go in the cafeteria. If you do a 'big picture' over view and just browse the place, then that would work. If you stop to read anything, take a bit of time to appreciate the smell and structure of any of the plants, wander some of the smaller side trails (we watched the sun set over the bay on the far side. it was spectacular) then you'll need more time.

We went later in the day and thought it was a good choice. The fountain at night is quite a show.

6. Re: Butchart Gardens, how much time to allow?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 15:17