We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

victoria hotels - good for someone in a wheelchair

Morpeth, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
victoria hotels - good for someone in a wheelchair

There are so many hotels to choose from. can anyone help with some advice as to which would be good for me. i use a wheelchair but can walk a little. i would like a hotel on the flat, near to centre, or the marina and restaurants. Is Victoria on a hill?

New Westminster...
Level Contributor
584 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: victoria hotels - good for someone in a wheelchair

Try a Google search for accessibility "victoria bc" hotel

and you'll get all sorts of useful stuff.

The "Access Victoria" place is a bit of a drive from the downtown attractions.

The http://tourismmall.victoria.bc.ca/access.htm link lists several hotels by accessibility. You might call to see how up to date it is.

If you can tell us which attractions you'd most like to see, that would help.

The Inner Harbour area is flat, including the Museum. There's a moderate hill up to the tourist shops on Government St.

If you go to Butchart Gardens, either by tour bus or by car, you'll be well looked after when you get there. It's mostly accessible if you check the maps carefully.

Mentioned in this post
Inner Harbour
Inner Harbour
4,435 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,258 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: victoria hotels - good for someone in a wheelchair

http://tourismmall.victoria.bc.ca/access.htm

The above link lists the 4 levels of disability and underneath that are listed some hotels in Victoria and their rating for disability level.

The Coast Victoria Harbourside is a level 3 hotel and is in a very flat area of James Bay. It's over by Laurel Point Inn and the sidewalk and streets are completely flat all the way over to the Royal BC Museum. Here's the location:

http://tinyurl.com/6bj56uu

The Hotel Grand Pacific is a level 2 hotel and is closer to the Inner Harbour on those same very flat streets and even closer to the RBC Museum. I would trust this hotel's accessibility offerings because it is one of the newer hotels in Vic and will have been built to modern building code. I'm just not sure if any hotel really works at including roll in showers in their building plans. Here's the location:

http://tinyurl.com/68voyen

My only suggestion to you is to ask all the questions of the hotel and get a written confirmation for the actual room #. It would be a shame if you arrived and they gave you something "similar."

Are you familiar with the Travelling with Disabilities Forum?" In first position is a topic (push pin against it) that offers some good tips for searching and booking such rooms. I don't mean to be bringing coal to Newcastle, of course. Here's the link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12336-k4150249…

Edit: Also in the same James Bay area you will find Jonathan's restaurant attached to the Royal Scot Hotel, Harbour House kitty corners from Harbour Towers and Santiago's (Mexican) on Oswego St down from the Harbour Towers. All on perfectly flat ground, all with good food.

Edited: 13 September 2011, 01:31
Mentioned in this post
Inn at Laurel Point
Inn at Laurel Point
2,228 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Royal BC Museum
Royal BC Museum
6,010 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Hotel Grand Pacific
Hotel Grand Pacific
2,231 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Inner Harbour
Inner Harbour
4,435 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Jonathan's
Jonathan's
167 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,878 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: victoria hotels - good for someone in a wheelchair

the Royal Scot is great and completely flat and close to everything. I just stayed at Queen Victoria which is great but on a slight hill getting to it.

Morpeth, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: victoria hotels - good for someone in a wheelchair

thank you so much - the information is so very helpful

Morpeth, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: victoria hotels - good for someone in a wheelchair

thank you so much for the info and i didn't know about the travelling with disabilities forum. kind regards

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,258 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: victoria hotels - good for someone in a wheelchair

So glad it is helpful.

If you could help us after your stay, would you mind letting us know (on this thread) a few of the discoveries you make? It would be so helpful to the local posters to know more detail in order to help future travellers.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
356 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: victoria hotels - good for someone in a wheelchair

Rather than having a companion push you around Victoria, which is no great hardship, because as others have said it's pretty flat and accessible, consider renting a mobility scooter during your stay. MEDIchair Victoria says they offer them and they deliver to hotels. With a scooter your area for exploration will expand considerably.

8. Re: victoria hotels - good for someone in a wheelchair

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 18:16