We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

attractions for people with mobility problems

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
206 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
attractions for people with mobility problems

My parents are in their 80s and are renting a house in Sidney for the next month (they have already been there one month). They have a rental car and my dad is very fit, but my mom is a polio survivor and walks with difficulty using a walker. She also tires easily. She is getting bored staying at home. Does anyone have suggestions for things for them to do?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,166 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: attractions for people with mobility problems

Does she use a wheelchair? It is a GREAT way to improve the mobility for people who are impaired. If you don't have one with you, you might try the Red Cross. They run an equipment loans program.

The Rick Hansen Foundation recently launched a map for disabled travelers. I think I posted a link on the Disabled Travel forum. I'll just go see if I can find it....

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,166 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: attractions for people with mobility problems

Yes, here's the link to the link:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i12336-k4877579-…

New Westminster...
Level Contributor
540 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: attractions for people with mobility problems

Butchart Gardens lends out wheelchairs, but someone has to push and you have to get there.

SHOAL Center has programs chatterblock.com/facility/…

The Shaw Ocean Discovery Centre is right there

http://www.oceandiscovery.ca/

There are events at the Mary Winspear Centre

www.marywinspear.ca/index.php…

For getting around, the HandyDart service is an option but they'd likely be gone before they got through the paperwork. bctransit.com/regions/vic/accessible2/handyd…

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: attractions for people with mobility problems

The Mt. Newton Centre also loans out wheelchairs. They are located closer to Sidney.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
206 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: attractions for people with mobility problems

Thanks, all, for these suggestions about the wheelchairs. Can you think of things to do/see in and around Victoria that would be suitable? Butchart for sure--also probably the Abkhazi Garden. I know she likes Chinatown. Thoughts?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,166 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: attractions for people with mobility problems

My dad has always been very mobile and independent, but has been in declining health this past year and is now using a walker. Its about all he can do to use that, and getting him into a wheelchair is, I think, more than his pride could take. However, if he could just swallow it and use one occasionally, it really does open things up a bit, as the "pusher" can walk the longer distances at a more comfortable walking speed. For some outings, using a chair would really open things up.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,750 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: attractions for people with mobility problems

Hi deepfreeze ~ gotta luv that 'stache. :-)

There are 7 category tabs on the following link for wheelchair accessible attractions:

www.accessvictoria.com/attractions.html

Between the wheelchair and the walker, your mom could have some really enjoyable days out.

New Westminster...
Level Contributor
540 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: attractions for people with mobility problems

Abkhazi Gardens could be a bit tricky with mobility problems. It's on the side of a rocky hill. There are paths, though. Might be worth phoning them - the volunteers have probably been asked about mobility issues a lot.

Chinatown is accessible. The sidewalks can be crowded, but patience will deal with that. Some of the stores might be too cramped to get around in. Parking close to Chinatown can be challenging, but there are at least two pay lots quite close.

Don't miss the Parks tab on the Access Victoria site.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
206 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: attractions for people with mobility problems

The accessvictoria link is great!! Thanks so much.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,479 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: attractions for people with mobility problems

Have they visited the Museum yet, its great, and bet they loan out wheelchairs,, thats a great afternoon out.