We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canada Day in the Inner Harbor

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Lafayette...
6 posts
Save Topic
Canada Day in the Inner Harbor

For our honeymoon, my fiancee` and I will be staying in a condo in the Mermaid Wharf condos for a week. We will arrive on the Kenmore Air floatplane from Seattle around 3 PM on the 1st. What should we expect in terms of that evening on the Inner Harbor? Essentially, could you describe the day or any places to go/avoid? There are only so many things pictures and city websites can show and write. Thanks!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,750 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canada Day in the Inner Harbor

http://www.victoriacanadaday.ca/

This year's schedule and plans are not up yet. But you will be able to see from last year's program in the link above that you won't be at a loss for something to see and do. You won't need to avoid anywhere or anything. Everything will be either downtown or very close to downtown. Should be a really good time.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canada Day in the Inner Harbor

There are musical events that happen in and around the harbour all day long, and at dusk there is always a fireworks show off a barge in the harbour.

It's fun to hang out downtown that day, but mostly Canada Day sees the downtown area crowded with late teens and early 20-somethings enjoying a holiday the way they best know how to do - by being inebriated.

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canada Day in the Inner Harbor

you will probably want to take in the fireworks, which you can see from most of the inner harbour. just be sure to bring a warm jacket as there can be a cool breeze by the time the shooting begins!

New Westminster...
Level Contributor
540 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canada Day in the Inner Harbor

There are drinkers downtown that night, but they appear later, for the fireworks, and in recent years the police have cracked down hard, including searching buses as they enter downtown, and it has been under control. There will be whoopin' and hollerin' and cussin' but probably not anything worse.

There will also be plenty of ordinary folks and families downtown.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,479 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canada Day in the Inner Harbor

My daughter and all her friends go down for the fireworks,, she was 15 last year ( it was her first time on her own with friends and no parents along) they all ( and I mean alot of young folks do) wear red/white, flag tattoos and face paint etc etc,, The Inner Harbour /Parliment area is perfectly safe untill after the fireworks,, ( well its not like its dangerous either after but my point is this is a FAMILY event and there are many folks with their kids etc down there and they all head home after , just leaving the partiers. I drove down and picked them up at 11 and there was still alot of families walking home( parking downtown is insane so we met a few blocks behind Parliment buildings)

There are lots of cops around, and lots of people.. there are going to be some partiers but its really well patrolled, and the ones drinking are not looking to attack you, its mostly like stupid kids out being,, er, stupid.

Don't worry its fun,, but yes,, bring warm stuff, it really cools down once sun is down around here.( even if it was a nice day)

West Lafayette...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Canada Day in the Inner Harbor

Thanks for the info!

7. Re: Canada Day in the Inner Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 12:42