We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria newbies! Help with trip for Mom

Toronto
Level Contributor
182 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria newbies! Help with trip for Mom

Don't even know where to start. We are taking our Mom to Victoria for a girls weekend. She has always wanted to go there, and our first question is where do we stay! I know she would love somewhere on the water where she could sit out in the evenings. She loves to shop and try new restaurants. I think she pictures this quiet waterfront place where she can shop and walk and enjoy the scenery. If we can get a hotel nailed down, I can ask more from there. We would like a nicer place, not a cheap older hotel. Was kinda looking at the Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe?? Is that in an area that might be what we are after?? I'll start there. Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,797 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria newbies! Help with trip for Mom

Hi JacqtheCoug ~

The Delta Ocean Pointe is across the harbour and about a 15 minute walk into the Inner Harbour as the following map shows:

http://g.co/maps/ysvkc

There is also the Victoria harbour ferry with a dock in front of the Delta that would ride you across the harbour until 9 pm in the summer.

www.victoriaharbourferry.com

You don't say whether or not you will have a car, but you definitely don't need one in Victoria.

A couple of others you might have a look at are the Victoria Regent with views, very close to the downtown area and Inner Harbour or the Inn at Laurel Point with the Erickson wing and views of either the Inner Harbour or the Outer Harbour, also on the "right" side of the harbour and within 5 minutes walk to the Inner Harbour.

New Westminster...
Level Contributor
547 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria newbies! Help with trip for Mom

What he said, plus maybe the Magnolia or Grand Pacific hotels. They don't have the option to sit and watch the view from a patio or balcony, but they are nice hotels right smack downtown in the middle of things. One block to Inner Harbour.

http://www.magnoliahotel.com/

http://hotelgrandpacific.com/

There are others close to the harbour and shopping, too.

victoria,b.c.
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria newbies! Help with trip for Mom

The Coast Harbourside and Laurel Point Inn are both nice waterfront places and walkable to town.

Toronto
Level Contributor
182 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria newbies! Help with trip for Mom

Okay a good start. So I guess I really kind of want to be on the inner harbour if possible? I don't know if we will have a car or not. We can get one if necessary but wasn't really planning on it. I will take another look through those hotels. It's so hard to tell which would be the most impressive for Mom. I am going to kind of look for location, modern, view, and maybe balcony to sit out....if that is all in one hotel. Thanks everyone.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria newbies! Help with trip for Mom

The Victoria Regent is one of our all-time favorites. It's right on the harbor, near the Johnson Street Bridge and literally steps away from great restaurants (Matisse, Il Terrazzo, Camille's ...) and the downtown shops. Chinatown just a couple blocks north. The 2-bedroom suites have full kitchens, great harbor views (I believe some also have decks -- it's been awhile, since we now have a timeshare on the south end of the harbor). Rooms are beautifully furnished and underground parking is very secure. The best location in Victoria -- and we've been traveling there (31 visits) since 1981 and have stayed at about a dozen different hotels. Empress, Grand Pacific, Royal Scot and Chateau Victoria also are excellent for location and comfort, but the Regent is still my top pick.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,114 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria newbies! Help with trip for Mom

Would a b&b be out of the question??? There are some nice ones that look out over the Strait on Dallas Road? A longer walk into the downtown though...

And HI to OregonJohn! Funny to see you on this forum!

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Victoria newbies! Help with trip for Mom

Hi Joan,

Not really so funny. We've been to Victoria more than 30 times and I think I know it better than Salem, 15 miles east of us! Actually, I read and post on more than a dozen forums since we do a lot of travel, eat at a lot of great restaurants -- and I take notes. Friends and family tease me (gently) about being an obsessive-compulsive planner. BUT, they rely on me to know what, where and when for our vacations. Puerto Vallarta is next this summer, Maui in the fall, Victoria, Oregon Coast and Kona after that. Don't know what to do after next April. :-( LOL

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Victoria newbies! Help with trip for Mom

The Delta is fantastic. You can sit and overlook the Inner Harbour. Only problem with the Delta is that it's on the other side of the Harbour, so if you want to spend any time in downtown, you'll either have a mediocre walk (20 or so minutes) or a cab ride away. But yes, I would recommend it.

Another good spot is the Laurel Point Inn. It's a bit older (but not much) but the views are just as spectacular.

Enjoy Victoria!

victoria, bc
Level Contributor
1,813 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Victoria newbies! Help with trip for Mom

Laurel Point hands down... waterfront, well appointed modern rooms (Erickson wing suites) I love,love.love this hotel... to me it encapsulates all that is Westcoast- the art work alone is worth the stay.

www.laurelpoint.com/…

Another suggestion is Parkside Victoria, very modern, LEED certified, 2 blocks from the Inner Harbour. #1 favorite of ours for out of town guests that want full suite with kitchen.

http://www.parksidevictoria.com/

10. Re: Victoria newbies! Help with trip for Mom

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 10:17