We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to Eat for a Canadian Experience?

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Missouri
Level Contributor
61 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
What to Eat for a Canadian Experience?

We like to sample local specialities when we travel. Any suggestions for a Canadian meal in Victoria, BC?

victoria, bc
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to Eat for a Canadian Experience?

I'd like to throw out this new little gem..... Nothing squeals Canadian like bacon...

How 'bout a Bacon Latte to kick start your day 'eh!

http://www.timescolonist.com/business/this+little+piggy+went+Moka+House/6793588/story.html

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,148 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to Eat for a Canadian Experience?

Aaaw, that foam is a work of art!

I wonder if you would like afternoon tea? I would point you to the White Heather in Oak Bay for that. It is an adapted Canadian custom from the "real" British custom. You could order the Big Muckle about noon, which would put you on for at least 7 hours. You'd def need a ressie.

You could look for a salmon dinner. Pacific ocean, Ocean Wise, not farmed.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to Eat for a Canadian Experience?

grab yourself a plate of poutine :)

New Westminster...
Level Contributor
542 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to Eat for a Canadian Experience?

Butter tarts.

Nanaimo bars.

Tourtiere (ground pork pie) with maple syrup.

Yes to the salmon suggestion.

If you find yourself up the island a little in Duncan, you can get a full Quw'utsun' meal, including salmon, bannock and more. http://www.quwutsun.ca/traditionalfood.html

Kootenays, British...
Level Contributor
405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to Eat for a Canadian Experience?

Fact is we don't really have a 'Canadian cuisine'. But we do a pretty good job of imitating others. Regionally the BC coast Is well known for its seafood and the Victoria area is well known for its anglophile approach to all matters culinary and otherwise. So, how about halibut and chips, maybe some mushy peas on the side?

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to Eat for a Canadian Experience?

I don't think I have ever heard "Can you pick up some Canadian on your way home?" If I did I would have to head over to Tim Horton’s. If you are dining in I suggest Kraft Dinner. You could pick up a keg of Maple Syrup and pour that all over everything - then you would blend right in.

I’m just being silly with you. Our multi-cultural population makes finding Canadian meals a challenge. Canadian food is as diverse as the population. I find the best places finding Canadian food is at an outdoor music festival/street party and they are hosting a multicultural food fair.

Not sure if you can get some in Victoria but if you are in Vancouver for any part of your trip – you could head over to Lonsdale Quay Food Market and get some Beaver Tails. They are scrum-dilly-icious. The smoked salmon and cream cheese one is to die for. You don’t have to bring your keg of maple syrup – they supply all condiments free of charge.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,083 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to Eat for a Canadian Experience?

Canadian food is like American food - Canadians eat steak, burgers, pizza, hot dogs, Chinese food, Italian staples like pasta, and so on.

But the cuisine is incredibly regional, just like in the USA. Going to Texas? You'd be wise to eat BBQ. Going to Maryland? Crab cakes. NYC? Bagels and pastrami sandwiches. And so on.

It's the same in Canada. Going to Montreal? Eat poutine. Going to Alberta? Eat Alberta beef. Coming to BC? Eat local seafood!

But just like in the USA, we have a huge immigrant population, so we have a lot of international foods that we have adopted as a part of our normal diets... Japanese, Thai, Ukrainian, Mexican, Lebanese, Greek, Portuguese, Chinese, Indian, etc.

And in the end, what is Canadian cuisine is based on regional ingredients inspired by regional immigration patterns.

Coming to Victoria BC, the regional cuisine is focused on fresh local seafood - wild sockeye salmon, halibut, oysters, clams, mussels, spot prawns, etc. It's also focused on local in-season ingredients... right now we've got local strawberries and cherries, local greens, etc. Vancouver Island (where Victoria is situated) has a few small-scale dairy farms and good restaurants will be serving local cheeses. Victoria also has a great craft beer/microbrewery and apple cider scene, so I'd be inclined to try some local beers - Spinnakers, Phillips, Lighthouse, etc.

There are a few dishes that originated in Canada (Nanaimo bars, poutine, etc.) that are distinctly Canadian, but they're novelty foods - not really something you'd base a meal around, and not necessarily foods that people eat day to day.

So that, in a nutshell, is Canadian cuisine.

Edited: 21 June 2012, 21:04
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,083 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to Eat for a Canadian Experience?

... and I guess what I was trying to say is, there is no universal Canadian experience.

Missouri
Level Contributor
61 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to Eat for a Canadian Experience?

Thank you for your suggestions. I've already googled some of the items.

Where we are from, people come to eat the local "cashew chicken". I just didn't want to miss an experience. Thanks again.

New Westminster...
Level Contributor
542 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to Eat for a Canadian Experience?

You have asked at a good time. Our national broadcaster has just done a poll!

cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/2012/06/vote-for-c…