We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Victoria BC

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southlake
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Victoria BC

What is the best way to get to Victoria BC? Should I fly into Washington or Vancover?

And then from there what do I do?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,960 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Victoria BC

Southlake is in Texas?

You will find the airfares cheaper to go to Seattle. Use Expedia or Skyscanner to to a cost analysis.

If you come in to Seattle, read the Top Questions (to the upper right) to see how to get from there to Victoria. There are three ferry options, 2 with a car, 1 without.

If you come into Vancouver, read the Top Questions in the "Getting out of Town" section to see how you can do that.

From either of those cities you could add a leg on to your flight to continue to Victoria. It just depends on your itinerary.

Give some thought about what itinerary you want to lay down. Let us know when you are coming, how long you are allowing and what things you like to do when you visit a new place. We can comment more specifically at that point.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,486 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Victoria BC

Direct flights into Victoria from a number of points, including Las Vegas and Phoenix

www.victoriaairport.com/non-stop-destinations

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
154 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Victoria BC

I would suggest flying right into Victoria. Depending on your airline you will switch planes in either Seattle or Vancouver. If you are just interested in visiting Victoria, the airport is your best bet, but if you want to spend a day in either Seattle or Vancouver, there are numerous ways to get to Victoria from either city, depending on your time and whether or not you will be renting a car.

Victoria B.C.
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
329 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Victoria BC

Unless you find an amazing deal, flights usually cost an extra $100+ dollars to fly into Victoria (because as someone else said, you will either have a stopover first in Vancouver or Seattle). So if you were to fly into Vancouver, and take the ferry over, it might be cheaper;however, depending on how much luggage you have ect, it might just be easier to fly directly to Victoria.

Once you have arrived at the Victoria airport, you could either rent a car and drive into town (about a 35 minute drive), or take the Akal Airport Shuttle (costs about $19pp I believe).

You don't really need a car if you are staying in the downtown area, and don't plan to go out of the Greater Victoria area. However, if you plan to go out to places such as Sooke, Chemainus, Cathedral Grove, Tofino ect then you would need a car.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,960 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Victoria BC

It's not that easy to advise you. Your other thread and this one give nothing away. As I said, when are you coming, how long are you coming for, how many in your party?

If you are coming for 4 days, flying might be the better option. If 2 weeks, then maybe not.

The ferry fare from Seattle will be less than flights.

Where else are you planning to go? If Vancouver, then the Amtrak Cascades train might be a viable option.

When are you coming because the ferry schedules might be more or less convenient than flying.

All these factors and the costing out of each of the options will determine what your best option will be. I hope you will give us some feedback as your other thread remains unanswered after 10 months.

Southlake
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Victoria BC

I plan to go to Victoria in early October. Probably fly from Texas on Thursday or Friday and fly back home on Tues - so 4 or 5 nights in Victoria. What airlines fly from Texas to Victoria (I know there will probably be a stop or plane change.)

Southlake
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Victoria BC

Oh - there are 3 in our party (1 is a 6 yr old).

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,960 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Victoria BC

Hi Trish ~

Thanks for that additional information.

One of the better websites that allows you to check out flights and airfares is Skyscanner, after which you would want to book directly with the airline.

www.skyscanner.com

I will mention also that Thanksgiving long weekend will be on October 8 this year.

If you decide to fly into Seattle, read the Top Questions on that forum for how to get to Victoria from there.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
154 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Victoria BC

Alaska airlines will take you from Texas to Victoria via Seattle, with possibly abother stop before Seattle.

Westjet will take you from Texas to Victoria with a stop in Calgary (for some reason, westjet does not fly between Victoria and Vancouver, although it does service both airports. Connections to Victoria are always through Calgary.)

Since you're traveling with a six year old, I wouldn't suggest flying into Vancouver or Seattle and taking the ferry. That would add too much travel time onto your trip. If you had a week, rather than 4 days, you could take it slower and visit Vancouver or Seattle, but if you are coming just for Victoria, flying is the way to go.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Victoria BC

- United Express offers two direct flights every day from San Francisco

- Horizon/Alaska connects through Seattle and offers multiple daily flights

- WestJet offers seasonal flights direct to Phoenix and Las Vegas, but it's generally for the winter charter season so depending on the time of year this may not be an option

- From Seattle, Kenmore Air offers seaplane service to downtown Victoria. No car required, everything is in within walking distance.

- From Vancouver, you can take Air Canada Jazz (main terminal), Pacific Coastal Airlines or Orca Air (South Terminal) or Harbour Air Seaplanes (either Richmond by South Terminal or downtown Vancouver harbour).

- You can take the Clipper passenger ferry (high speed catamaran) from Seatle Harbour to Victoria Harbour - no cars allows

You have a number of options depending on what you want to see.