We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Respond Regarding Hotel Choices in Victoria

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kirkland, Washington
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Topic
Please Respond Regarding Hotel Choices in Victoria

A few days ago I posted the following and have had no response. It seems that the choice of a hotel is really making me nervous - lol. Would you please respond if you know these hotels. I have since discovered that the Traveller's Inns are very much a Motel 6 type of place. I would like something a bit better. I wrote:

We will be spending two nights in Victoria in August (myself and my three older children). I have narrowed down a list of hotels. (We are only able to spend approx. $100 a night on a room). I am booking on Hotels.com and have noticed that there is something called a "tax recovery charge and fee". I have read that some of that amount is reimbursable after your stay. Anyway, here is the list of Hotels I have picked (they are running from $100 - $135 a night approx plus tax and extra person charges).

Could you please give me your thoughts on the Hotel and its location. It's so difficult when you are not at all familiar with the area. I admit to liking a nice room but I am on a budget! Of course, if you have any other hotel suggestions, that would be great. Thanking you in advance for your assistance!

Dominon Grand

Queen Victoria Hotel and Suites

Coast Victoria Harborside

Bedford Regency

In addition, there is also the: Travellers Inn (downtown or city center), Quality Inn Downtown and the Holiday Inn on Beanshard.

Kirkland, Washington
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Respond Regarding Hotel Choices in Victoria

I am so sorry this posted a few times, my computer froze and I didn't realize it had posted the thread. (looking foolish)

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Respond Regarding Hotel Choices in Victoria

Hello mskitty, I'm from nearby Victoria and have stayed in town at quite a few of the hotels there. My last experience with the Travellers Inn was definitely my last, not recommended. I have stayed in the Dominion and woudn't again, it is noisy, across from a club , upstairs from a beer & wine store, small rooms . I have also stayed in the Queen Victoria Hotel, it was OK but I wouldn't go again.

I have stayed a few times at the Chateau Victoria [ they have a web site] , they have nice rooms and suites which are good for families, not to expensive [last I checked].

Also the Helm's Inn is nice and the Laurel Point Inn. I would recommend any of these and all are within walking distance to most attractions.

Hope this helps

Kirkland, Washington
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Respond Regarding Hotel Choices in Victoria

Jenny, thanks for your response. Do you know anything about the Coast Victoria Harborside? We've pretty much picked that hotel.

Cheryl

British Columbia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Respond Regarding Hotel Choices in Victoria

Hi Mskitty

Do you have a car? because it would have an impact to where you stay and the rate the hotel has to offer. Often hotel names are often misleading as Travellers Inn-City Center and infact it is located 1 km to the inner harbour and as mentioned from the other person I wouldn't reccommend Travellers inn or any hotel on the Gorge road.

If you do have a car, I reccommend you to Super 8 which is near 1 km to Inner Harbor. They are the rate you are looking for with very clean renovated rooms.

Mind you in August a accommodation rate starts at $150 even with Expedia rates and if you get anything below that price range, please be weary.

Chateau Victoria is a beautiful property but I don't think you are going to get the rate as you mentioned on your budget but if so, its a great deal, take it.......!!!!!!

Ummm, I am a business travellers from Vancouver BC and trust me with all the hotel rooms I stayed at in Victoria I can offer you horror stories.

Good luck and have a wonderful time in Victoria!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Please Respond Regarding Hotel Choices in Victoria

Hi Mskitty,

No

I haven't stayed at the Coast harbourside. But I've stayed in other Coasts and they've all been pretty good. Good luck . J

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please Respond Regarding Hotel Choices in Victoria

mskitty

The Coast Harbourside is your best choice.There is another option that is cheaper The Days Inn on the harbour,great location and good value hotel.Have fun

British Columbia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please Respond Regarding Hotel Choices in Victoria

lol, Days Inn on the Harbor? Oh Please you will suffer from heat and the rooms are small. You are better off paying a little more with Best Western.

oregon
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Please Respond Regarding Hotel Choices in Victoria

Hi there-

I was just wondering if you ever found out about the "tax recovery charges and fees." Are those refundable? Is so, do you know how to go about getting a refund?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please Respond Regarding Hotel Choices in Victoria

I stayed at the Coast Harbourside last year and was very happy with it. We didn't use our car while in Victoria as the Coast was in a great location. The water taxi stops right at the dock. We got a great rate by booking long in advance and pre-paying. It worked out cheaper then any of the others mentioned. It was also one of very few in Victoria that had air conditioning. I was told it was only necessary to have AC for about 3 days a year in Victoria, so a lot of places don't have it. But of course, the 3 days it was needed in 2005 were the 3 days we were there!

Is the Days Inn the one that's across from the harbour? I would think that would be a little inconvenient. It would be a long walk if you were going around outside of water taxi hours.

I know that visitors from outside Canada can apply for a refund on the GST, which is 7% that's added to everything here. It should be down to 6% by August. I may be confused with the European system, but I thought GST paid on hotels was not refundable?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please Respond Regarding Hotel Choices in Victoria

And I got my deal directly from the Coast website. I just went to see if it's still available, and the website seems to be down right now.