We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria vs Vancouver?

indio, CA
2 posts
Save Topic
Victoria vs Vancouver?

We will be in Seattle in early August for a wedding, and would like to extend our trip with a visit to British Columbia. We would be trading a time share week to do this, and so we have to stay in one place for a whole week. We have a choice between the Worldmark Victoria and the Worldmark Vancouver. Is there enough to do and see in Victoria for a whole week's stay? Or would we be better off in Vancouver? How do they differ? What about being able to make daytrips to nearby locales? With Victoria being on an island, I guess that might be a little difficult? We are a couple in our 50s, enjoy dining, shopping, strolling, nature. Would appreciate any advice on choosing between these 2 cities, and also any feedback on these 2 Worldmark resorts if anyone has any knowledge of them. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
WorldMark Victoria
WorldMark Victoria
158 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,868 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria vs Vancouver?

I've been to the Vancouver worldmark. I'd vote for that in a second. Victoria is nice and quiet but not much to do other than the Gardens. The vancouver location is at the Sheraton Wall Centre. Down the block is Davies street with lots of great eating. You can walk down to Stanley Park or the beach. In august they do an incredible fireworks competition. There is free parking plus you can easily go the Whistler for one day, highly recommend, or to Victoria for one day. You could drive or walk on as a bus is on the ferry and will take you to Buchart Gardens or on a city tour. The downside is the room I had at Vancouver did not have air conditioning which is a bad thing. Lots to do in Vancouver vs Victoria. Write me if you need specific info at seattletourguy@yahoo.com

Mentioned in this post
Stanley Park
Stanley Park
23,356 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre
Sheraton Vancouver Wall...
862 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria vs Vancouver?

Hands down Vancouver. Comparing Vancouver and Victoria is like contrasting Sacramento and San Francisco.

You can always plan a two day trip to Victoria, it is only 1:35 minute ferry ride away,or if you are high rollers, fly commercially, take a helicopter or float plane.

No idea on the World Marks...

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Sacramento
Sacramento
California
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria vs Vancouver?

absolutely Vancouver!!!!.. the Sacramento- San Francisco comparison is a valid one. In Vancouver go to Granville Island for artists, market, craft shops, galleries, Fourth Avenue between Burrard and Vine ( great little stores) Yaletown for trendy stores and great restaurants ( actually great restaurants all over vancouver) Museum of Anthropology for native totem poles and a great building, UBC Botanical gardens, ride the seabus to North Van and then go up Grouse Mountain for the scenery, walk the Stanley park seawall, catch the fireworks in August ( usually wed and Sat in first week) go to an out door play at Malkin bowl in Stanley Park..the list is endless

Mentioned in this post
Stanley Park
Stanley Park
23,356 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
The Burrard
The Burrard
1,846 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Grouse Mountain
Grouse Mountain
4,307 Reviews
North Vancouver, Canada
Granville Island
Granville Island
15,458 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Museum of Anthropology
Museum of Anthropology
3,168 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Sacramento
Sacramento
California
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
indio, CA
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria vs Vancouver?

Thanks to everyone who answered my post. Since the vote was unanimous, we'll be heading for Vancouver!! I checked out the air conditioning situation at the Worldmark, and sure enough, as seattletourguy mentioned, there's no air conditioning!! How much of a problem would this pose in early August? I checked out an internet weather page and it said the temp in Vancouver in August didn't usually get much over 70 degrees fahrenheit/21 degrees celsius - is that accurate? How likely is it to be much warmer? My fiance and I are pretty much average folks in our heat/cold tolerance, but if it got over 80 degrees fahrenheit/26 degrees celsius we might just want to use the air conditioning or certainly at least open some windows, which I'm not sure would be possible in a skyscraper type building. Sometimes those windows don't open for safety reasons. Please advise! Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,868 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria vs Vancouver?

I think the windows do open and they will give you a couple of fans. The west coast always cools off a lot at nite, but my friends who stayed there did say it was a little warm. Perhaps you could request a room on the 'morning' sun side of the bldg.

Even in whistler at a 5* they don't have AC. At least now you are prepared for the possiblility of being warm.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria vs Vancouver?

Don't know which weather site you checked but it definitely can get over 70 in Vancouver! Actually late July and early August can be our warmest time and it can get into the low 90's F !! having said that the other poster is correct in saying it cools off at night thanks to the seabreeze.. I don't know anyone here who has central ac because it just doesn't get that warm for that long.. be sure to bring clothes for warm, cool and rain as it can do all three during that time period. glad you are coming to Vancouver as it is truly a beautiful city with lots to do.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Fremont, CA
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Victoria vs Vancouver?

seems like if they don't have air they have to have some windows that open. why not e-mail them and ask. I would not wnat to be anywhere without air where the windows didn't open. Talk about stuffy.

Malvern PA
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Victoria vs Vancouver?

Thanks from another reader - I had the same question as superfran and will make our reservation for Vancouver based on all the helpful comments.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Downingtown, PA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Victoria vs Vancouver?

I stayed at the WorldMark Victoria last August and let me tell you that it was absolutely aweful in terms of the internal temperature of the rooms. It was unihabitable during the daylight hours even though the tempurature outside was only in the 70's. The resort is on the upper level floors an if you are unfortunate enought to be assigned a room on the south side of the building, it doesn't become tolerable until 9PM or later. We had 3 fans going - it was like a wind tunnel in the room, but still remained extremely hot. Don't do it...

We checked in at about 4:10PM and immediatley requested another room on the north side. The front desk told us that all the rooms were filled already. We were in the lobby an hour later asking for information on restaurants and there was someone else checkin in - and they said they had already filled the rooms - so they lied.

There was one woman at the front desk - unfortunately I don't remember her name, but she was great. She knew every tour available and was extrememly helpful. The city is beautiful and it's in a great location. But...don't do it. You might think how bad can it be... The building is glass and there are floor to ceiling windows...it's like a hot box. The upper parts of several (like a total of 4) open a crack - about 2 to three inches. You may think you'll be out all day so it won't matter. Believe me..it will. You won't be able to sleep well and you can forget about coming back to the room for a quick snack or to change your clothes for dinner or to shower. You'll be sweating in a matter of minutes. The rooms are extremely small. I'm going to try to upload some photo's of the rooms with the fans and the outside of the building so you can see what you're in for. It's the worst.

Mentioned in this post
WorldMark Victoria
WorldMark Victoria
158 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Victoria vs Vancouver?

Thank you for the info. We've been considering staying at Worldmark Victoira from Memorial Day 5/25/07 till 6/2/07 and finding at least one person that stayed there is extremely helpful. I trust this site above all others before booking my vacation plans.