We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yet another Butchart Gardens Question!

toronto
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Yet another Butchart Gardens Question!

Didn't want to hi-jack the other threads...we will be in Victoria on a Saturday and see that there's a concert at 6:15pm and fireworks at 9:15pm. Does the entrance fee of $30 cover both? Are there chairs or places to sit for concert? Could we come after lunch and still see enough of the Gardens and then do the concert and fireworks? Thank you!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,173 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yet another Butchart Gardens Question!

Many people get there early, even 4 pm, lay down a blanket and belongings on their chosen piece of lawn, then visit the gardens, have a bite to eat and come back at fireworks time to settle in to the blanket and watch the show. It's how it's done at Butchart. So yes, you could go there after lunch. You will want something "sturdy", maybe a plastic tarp of some kind to put your blanket on as moisture will seep up out of the grass. And you will want to takes layers and even light jackets to wear for the evening as the gardens are very close to the water and you will feel it cool off in the evening. If you want to bring lawn chairs there is a designated area for those, obviously not in front of those who are sitting on the ground. Here is the fireworks page from their website:

butchartgardens.com/entertainment/fireworks/…

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yet another Butchart Gardens Question!

Definitely go there after lunch some time, not too late in the evening. Their fireworks night are so popular, that there are some Saturdays that they have to turn cars away.

Will you have access to a blanket or even towels that you can take to the gardens? Lawn chairs are the most comfortable by far, but I wouldn't go out and buy any for just that one night.

toronto
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yet another Butchart Gardens Question!

Actually we're staying at a B & B so won't have access to anything like that...will have to try and figure something out because it looks like a great day/evening. Is there an extra charge for parking? I'm wondering if there's someplace that's not crowded where we could park our car and then take public transportation to the Gardens? Thanks so much.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yet another Butchart Gardens Question!

No charge for parking. Actually, you could most likely park in the residential area of Brentwood Bay and walk down the hill. My sister lives there, and we always walked from her house to the gardens, and then back home again with a flashlight guiding us. No sidewalks!

The people at your B & B would most likely be able to help you with the parking idea. Where are you staying??? Is it right in Victoria? Or Saanich area? They might even lend you a blanket or some towels as well....

Also, after the fireworks, you will find that a lot of people stay and walk around the grounds again. By then, the lights are on all around the garden, and it is especially nice to walk through the quarry again. It also helps with the amount of people all leaving at once!

toronto
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yet another Butchart Gardens Question!

Oak Bay area..which looks to be about 45 mins. drive to Butchart Gardens.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,173 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yet another Butchart Gardens Question!

It's a very busy and popular day/evening, no escape. Your entrance fee gets you through and includes the parking. You either park on site and "parade" out bumper to bumper afterward, or you park off site and walk 20 min into Butchart. I wouldn't park within 8-900 metres of Butchart because exiting traffic after will have you stuck.

I would accept the traffic and congestion after as part of the experience and not sweat it. If you go onto Google Maps, on the satellite setting, using the search words 800 Benvenuto Avenue, Central Saanich, BC, you will see the map balloon icon marking where the entry kiosk is. Beside it is the coach and disabled parking lot. To the right are the much larger parking lots. You can see you would have to park as far away as Wallace. I would go so far as to say Benvenuto will have "no parking" signs everywhere. It really should because It's no place to park on fireworks night. When I'm on my desktop later I'll post a map link.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yet another Butchart Gardens Question!

Mufti, you are right.... no parking along Benvenuto at all, as it is already narrow enough. Wallace is the closest place to park. If you are in no hurry, I'd be just using the parking lot at the gardens. Much easier, even if more time consuming upon departure.

I hope you have a wonderful time there.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,173 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yet another Butchart Gardens Question!

Here's the map for Butchart which you can zoom in and out and drag around:

http://goo.gl/maps/g2MGs

To the left of balloon A entry kiosk, you will see the coaches and there is even a public transit blue icon. To the right of balloon B you will see the larger and smaller public parking lots with the herringbone parking spots. All included in the price. The blue line will show you the walking time from Wallace into the ticket kiosk. Don't forget you have to walk back out in heavy traffic after.

Edited: 23 May 2013, 04:18
9. Re: Yet another Butchart Gardens Question!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2014, 05:17