We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying to victoria

Birmingham, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
flying to victoria

Hello folks

I've got a quick question about flying to Victoria from Vancouver.

We're flying into Vancouver around 12:00 and would like to get a flight out to Victoria on the same day.

Is that do able? What are the flight check in times? I'd counted on getting through immigration taking about an hour and then getting the bags etc all be about 90 mins. Do the flights to Victoria go from Vancouver airport?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Simon

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
943 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flying to victoria

which airline are you flying? There are Air Canada flights between Vanc & Vic several times a day, almost hourly. Take a look at aircanada.com & you will find many choices. I'm probably not the best person to comment on the immigration angle of things but if you arrive at 12 noon I'd book a flight to Vic for 2 pm or later, just to make sure you are through immigration & then you have to check in again, & check in times for Air Canada are 45 min before the flight, you may very well need that time to get through security again, unless of course your airline to Canada "teams up" with Air Canada & you can be checked right through to Victoria........

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,250 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying to victoria

Try skyscanner.net. Input your details and all options and direct links to airline websites will come up.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,109 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flying to victoria

Vic Airport is some distance from central. Seaplane goes to central but is a change of terminals by bus at YVR and restricts luggage weight. Harbour Air is one carrier.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,151 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flying to victoria

You could change planes right at YVR to a wheeled plane on to Victoria. It would require walking 5-8 minutes to the domestic terminal to do that. You could look at making the last leg part of one ticket from point of origin to Victoria. That way, you will get a legally acceptable connection time and luggage will be handled. If you miss the plane to Victoria, the airline would be required to accommodate you on the next plane with available seating. These planes fly every hour. If you buy two separate tickets, the first airline will have completed its obligation to get you to Vancouver, you then pick up your luggage and go through another check in process. Then at Victoria, the ride in from the airport to the city is about 40 minutes. AKAL Airporter is the service to use.

http://www.victoriaairportshuttle.com/

The following webpage from the YVR site will let you plug in your original country and airline, then go through the process to final destination. The result will be the instructions for what process you follow at YVR to change planes.

yvr.ca/en/…passenger-guides.aspx

You could take the Harbour Air shuttle or a cab to the South Terminal, and the Fraser River where the floatplanes take off to Victoria harbour. They take the full 23 kg complement of luggage at this departure terminal. This is a 15 minute shuttle ride (once moving) maybe 30 minutes transfer time. This would obviously be a separate ticket and extra time would be needed to allow for making the flight.

www.harbour-air.com .... look for the YVR/Richmond terminal.

Your situation depends on what date and day of the month you will be doing this. Weekends are busier at the airport, Harbour Air is likely to be busier with business and government worker travellers during the week. It's a very convenient and very good sightseeing flight in its own right, on a day with no rain and good visibility.

If this were me, I would allow 2.5 hours to change planes. Up to 1 hour for Canada Customs, up to 20 min to collect luggage, up to 20 min to find my way to Domestic or 30 min to find my way to Harbour Air. Requisite wait time at new gate before boarding 15-20 min ahead of last flight's departure time. I like to make my planes so I'll take extra reading time over missing a flight and having to go through the process to rebook/reschedule.

calgary
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flying to victoria

Agree with Mufti - try booking a flight to Victoria right from your home airport; that way the airline is responsible for getting you and your luggage all the way to Victoria in the event of a late flight or problem getting through Customs/Immigration.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flying to victoria

hi

Vancouver is the hub for the province and Victoria is the capital so all the politician that have to make it to Victoria make sure there are enough flights for them to get there and back home. All the flights to Victoria via AirCanada are on Dash8, which is out of Gate C

this is a list of flight times for a typical day …aircanada.com/pl/…OverrideServlet.

victoria, bc
Level Contributor
1,822 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flying to victoria

Pacific Coastal flies from the South Terminal, 3:15pm daily.. lowest fare is 99.99$ all in PP. They have a free shuttle service.( look under information)

Here's their link.

http://www.pacificcoastal.com/index.php

This flight flies from South Terminal to Victoria Airport ( a 35 minute drive from downtown Victoria)

Edited: 28 August 2013, 03:42
8. Re: flying to victoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 06:20