We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Eve,etc.

Oregon
Level Contributor
396 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Eve,etc.

We are thinking of a visit by Ferry from Port Angeles staying the nights of the 22nd, 23rd. We are deliberating taking an earlier or later ferry back the 24th. Are most shops and cafes still open the 24th? Also, we are strongly considering The Royal Scot for a stay. Much around there as far as shops and cafes? Mom(80) likes to shop and browse but needs an easy stroll. Bro would like a pub for the evenings with a darker ambiance..Any suggestions also nearby?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,740 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Eve,etc.

Usually in Vancouver, the shops and restos/cafes close about 4, 5 pm on Christmas Eve. In Victoria an early closure will definitely happen. So Christmas Eve will be dead.

The Royal Scot is not an easy stroll to the shops and cafes for an 80 y.o. The shops will be up Government St from about Humboldt north. This would take an average person about 10 minutes from the Royal Scott. The Royal Scot is in a nice area though, more residential, quiet, tree lined although not particularly interesting in December. A taxi ride to/from Government St would cost about $5-8.

If you had a look at the Chateau Victoria, it would be an easier stroll to Government St., 2 blocks, and the lounge off the lobby is "dark" in ambiance. The roof top restaurant Vista 18 would have nice views on a clear night. The Victoria Regent Hotel and Suites on Wharf St would be very very close to shops and restaurants, only one block from Government St. Has nice views over the harbour and the lights of the Legislative Building as well.

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Eve,etc.

Right, pubs are on Government Street too, plus the Sticky Wicket in the nearby Strathcona Hotel.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,109 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Eve,etc.

We've stayed at all the previously mentioned hotels and definitely would recommend the Regent or Chateau Victoria for a more easy walk to shops. The Regent is a little more luxurious and offers great views of the water. The 2-BR units are especially nice.

We usually stayed at the Royal Scot when we had our young and rambunctious grandkids with us.

Oregon
Level Contributor
396 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Eve,etc.

Thanks...Woke up this morning and husband had already bought the ferry/Royal Scot package in the wee hours. Hopefully it is calmer as we ARE NOT into rambunctious children! We probably would have stayed at the Empress if in our price point since that is where my family stayed when we were little. There were no packages/discounts with ferry for that one. This is the first time pretty much since married(15 years)husband has jumped in to help plan a trip so I guess I am just grateful it is not all on me. And poor decisions can be his fault! Hahaha! NO really, while I thrive on planning our trips he sensed I was not feeling the love this season. I think the only thing I really balked at was he purchased Butchart Gardens and I would have waited to see how the weather unfolded or opted for high tea instead for Mom...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,740 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Eve,etc.

You can't really go wrong with the RS. I think you will find it as comfortable as home. You might contact the hotel to let them know your preference for a quieter room. If they have families booked in, they would be very happy to locate you with some space between.

You really don't have the time to fuss about choosing according to weather. You need to all try to dress in layers, with waterproof jackets/overcoats and good shoes. Scarves, gloves and head covering will be essential. As far as i know, Butchart will have their lender umbrellas available. And you can have High Tea at Butchart, in the Butchart's original house, warm and snug. In fact I would get out there earlier afternoon, have tea and then walk the gardens just as the light is starting to go, as that is when the lights will be beautiful. It won't seem dark, the sidewalks will be illuminated.

Your mom will be thrilled to be in Victoria with you both for 2 nights. Take a fleece blanket for her legs, on the ferry, just in case. And remember, if she offers to treat you to something, say yes! How many more such opportunities will there be, so enjoy.

Oregon
Level Contributor
396 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Eve,etc.

Thanks for that input on the timing for the garden visit. Yes, when certain opportunities arise we do have to keep in check "moments" for the future may be fewer so to keep the angst at a minimum when great times are currently within reach. Thanks for the reminder of that very crucial fact :)

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,109 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Eve,etc.

Since you'll have a car, no need for your Mom to have to walk to the downtown shops. There are several convenient parking lots and garages in the downtown core. Two of our "usual" spots are on View, between Blanshard and Douglas, and on Yates, between Government and Wharf. The garage on View is especially close to the Dutch Bakery on Fort Street, a must stop if you love good pastries, baked goods, etc.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,740 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Eve,etc.

Ha! Missed the mention of PA. I was thinking the Clipper because of the need to walk short distances, so the need for a convenient hotel! You're home free with a car in Victoria.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas Eve,etc.

The Days Inn is across the street from the Royal Scot and it has a pub that locals frequent it may be of interest to your Bro

Oregon
Level Contributor
396 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas Eve,etc.

Yes, he likes a long "rail" because he is chatty and gregarious. Mufti, I was disappointed to learn that the package we set up the bus for the gardens leaves at 7pm so no earlier high tea opportunity there. Perhaps there is a place by the ferry where the bus will pick them up?(we only purchased tics for her and bro)...Avoiding using the car much.