We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry question. Car question.

Oakland, California
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Ferry question. Car question.

My husband and I are planning to go to Victoria next week. We are flying into Seattle early on Thursday morning and then hope to go straight to Victoria from the airport. What is your advice on how to best to this? Do we need a car in Victoria? What is the best ferry to take? We will only be there from Thursday-Saturday.

Any advice would be wonderful.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry question. Car question.

I'd plan on taking the clipper. It's a walk on ferry from downtown Seattle to downtown Victoria. I believe there's an article on the Seattle forum about getting from the airport to downtown. There's a new transit system that should get you to within a short cab ride of the Clipper. There are fewer ferries this time of year so hopefully it will jibe with your flight schedule. You could also look at flying Kenair ( I think that's the name) to Victoria. You won't need a car for Victoria..if the weather is nice you may want to rent for one day and drive part of the Pacific Marine Circle drive up towards Port Renfrew.

Edited: 25 December 2013, 23:56
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,993 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry question. Car question.

if you look on the Seattle forum on top right you will see your options. Yes the Clipper is the easiest from downtown Seattle. Go to

clippervacations.com

and check for specials. It leaves from downtown Seattle direct to Inner Harbor in Victoria. You won't need a car. Suggest The Royal Scot as they are walkable from ferry and they have a free shuttle to anywhere in d owntown Victoria

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,797 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry question. Car question.

There is only one departure for the clipper from Seattle this time of year. 8 am. You may want to fly to Victoria by adding a connection to your current ticket.

Edited: 26 December 2013, 07:14
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry question. Car question.

Victoria is a beautiful city and there is so much more than downtown (although downtown is an absolute must!). I would either rent a car or take a private tour, where they do all the driving and take you to all the places you might not think of. private van or car tours can take you where buses cannot. I don't know of a free shuttle in downtown Victoria.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,797 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry question. Car question.

>>Suggest The Royal Scot as they are walkable from ferry and they have a free shuttle to anywhere in d owntown Victoria.<<

The shuttle is the Royal Scot's hotel shuttle for the exclusive use of their guests.

fla
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry question. Car question.

I second the suggestion to fly to the Victoria airport on the way there. You can always take the clipper back if you want to. Depending on how early you book, the clipper and flying are often not that different price-wise. And the clipper gets canceled or postponed whenever it's too choppy, which is more often in winter.

If you're in Victoria for 4 days, you'll want a car for at least one of them -- to see Oak Bay and Butchart Gardens, for ex., and it's easier to get to the castle and the art gallery as well. (All of these can be done on the bus, but a car makes you more likely to get out of downtown.) It's also fun to drive around neighborhoods like James Bay, or out to Sooke. (I think Port Renfrew is pushing it in January, but it's nice in warmer weather.)

As you didn't ask about hotels I'm guessing you already have it booked but in case not, the Delta Ocean Pointe also has a free hotel shuttle and I'm guessing other hotels do too, so do ask. One thing to remember when planning is that it gets dark here very early this time of year, around 4:30pm.

7. Re: Ferry question. Car question.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2014, 06:19