We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation from Buchart Gardens to Swartz Bay

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
transportation from Buchart Gardens to Swartz Bay

We are planning a day in Victoria with a ferry ride over from Vancouver. I know there are buses from the Swartz Bay Terminal to Victoria, but I am wondering if we take a late afternoon bus to Buchart Gardens and want to go from there directly to the ferry what are our transportation options?

I really don't want to go back into Victoria to catch that bus to Swartz Bay.

We are planning to not take our car over but if transportation around the area would be a lot easier and less walking for my husband we may have to consider taking the car.

Thanks

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation from Buchart Gardens to Swartz Bay

The #81 bus goes from Butchart Gardens to the Swartz Bay ferry terminal. However, if I read the schedule correctly, the bus departs only once every two hours. So, if you used this bus, I guess you would need to plan very carefully.

busonline.ca/regions/vic/schedules/map.cfm…

It looks as if the #75 bus, which goes from Butchart Gardens to downtown, departs about once every half hour:

bctransit.com/regions/vic/schedules/map.cfm…

Hope that helps.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation from Buchart Gardens to Swartz Bay

Thanks

Do you know which one of those stops on the schedule is Buchart Gardens?

How long is the trip from Victoria to Buchart each way in case I decide to do that?

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation from Buchart Gardens to Swartz Bay

I've never used public transportation to get to and from Butchart Gardens. However, in looking at a map, I would say that you probably would need to walk quarter of a mile to get from the entrance / exit gate of Butchart Gardens to catch the bus at the corner of Wallace Drive and Benvenuto Avenue.

That is the stop marked "A" on the route map for the #81 bus.

Swartz Bay is the last stop on the route, and is indicated by an "H" on the route map.

The ride from "A" to "H" takes about 45 minutes.

The bus leaves up to 3 minutes before the hour. So it leaves at, or just before, 2.00 p.m., 4.00 p.m., 6.00 p.m. and 8.00 p.m.

That means it gets to Swartz Bay around 2.45 p.m., 4.45 p.m., 6.45 p.m., and 8.45 p.m.

The last departure from the corner of Wallace Drive and Benvenuto Avenue is 8.00 p.m.

In your first post you mentioned taking a "late afternoon" bus to Butchart Gardens. I don't know how late it would be practical for you to do that. I mean you need at least a couple of hours to see Butchart Gardens.

I don't know when you'll be doing this trip. Up to and including September 4th, the last ferry leaves Swartz Bay at 9.00 p.m., except for Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and Holiday Mondays, when there also is a 10.00 p.m. ferry.

I imagine you know the link to BC Ferries' website, where you can look up schedules for other dates but, just in case, it is:

www.beferries.ca

In case you decide not to catch the city bus from Butchart Gardens to Swartz Bay, there is a great Inside Page about getting from downtown Vancouver to downtown Victoria (and of course it would be equally applicable to travel in the other direction):

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154943-c5611/Vancouv…

Hope that helps.

Victoria, B.C.
Level Contributor
367 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation from Buchart Gardens to Swartz Bay

A potential alternative, abeit not inexpensive, might be to take a taxi from Butchart to Swartz Bay -- so that you are not having to leave Butchart earlier than you want just to keep to the bus schedule.

As an example of cost ... Victoria downtown to Airport is between $45-55.00, depending on traffic. The Gardens to Swartz Bay definitely wouldn't be anymore than that & perhaps a lot less ... I just can't advise. If you want to check it out, here is the contact # for one Sidney-based taxi company: Peninsula Taxi - 250-656-1111

Cheers

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation from Buchart Gardens to Swartz Bay

An alternative, though a more costly one would be to take either a Greyhound or BC Ferries Tour of Victoria which includes Buchart Gardens.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation from Buchart Gardens to Swartz Bay

Pacific Coach Lines has a day trip to Victoria from Vancouver. You go to Butchart Gardens first, then have a guided tour of Victoria, and then have some free time in Victoria. The cost is $130.00 pp for adults.

You can check out the info at:

www.pacificcoach.com/index.cfm…

7. Re: transportation from Buchart Gardens to Swartz Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 14:20