We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anacortes vs. Tsawwassen vs. port angeles to Victoria

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
anacortes vs. Tsawwassen vs. port angeles to Victoria

We are arriving Seattle Thursday morning and wanted to see Vancouver Whistler and Victoria. Initially I had made a loop through whidbey island up to Vancouver for 3 nights (2days) then Whistler one night then horseshoe ferry to Nanaimo to Victoria one night then port angeles to Seattle last night then fly home wednesday eve (6 nights 7days). BUT I realized way to much driving, and then I found out how expensive the ferry service with a car was!

Now I'm thinking of staying

Thursday night in Seattle (get a little Seattle time in)

Friday am head up EARLY to catch the 8:30 Anacortes ferry (it is 65 round trip versus 100-135 one way!)

Friday day and night in Victoria and catch the noon ferry back on Saturday then spend

Saturday night and sunday night in Vancouver-

Monday night in whistler,

Tuesday enjoy a LONG (but beautiful ) driving day with border crossing to Seattle. Spend

Tuesday night in Seattle and flight leaves Seattle wednesday at 5. Does that sound doable?

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,871 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: anacortes vs. Tsawwassen vs. port angeles to Victoria

In the total scheme of things a $135 ferry ride won't add much by percentage to your entire trip. The Anacortes ferry is a good choice as long as the schedule fits. The ancient Port Angeles ferry is fine too. The drive from Whistler to Seattle isn't that long of a driving day. However, if you took the Nanaimo ferry to Horseshoe Bay to visit Whistler and overnighted in Vancouver after Whistler, you'd save a couple of hours on your Seattle drive Tuesday. If you choose to drive Whistler to Seattle you can bypass Vancouver by taking 176 exit to Pacific Highway border crossing. Make sure you get the toll bridge web paying information from the highway signs.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: anacortes vs. Tsawwassen vs. port angeles to Victoria

thank you for your feedback. Can I clarify- I understand that Anacortes is $65 roundtrip and the other ferrys are about 135 to 150 each one way with a car and 4 people. Sorry I accidentally reposted this question this morning when I refreshed my page!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,079 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: anacortes vs. Tsawwassen vs. port angeles to Victoria

I would be curious where you found your rates for the Sidney ferry. I'm looking at this fare sheet:

www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/pdf/CurrentFares.pdf

I see $63.80 for car + driver one way (assuming you are sailing after May 1 and subject to peak season rates)

I see $18.70 per adult one way (x 3 passengers, x 2 directions)

So return fare on the WSDOT ferry would work out to $239.80 return. Feel free to correct me, but that's the calculation I get. And that's USD, with the CDN $ worth around $0.90, the BC ferry fare is even cheaper.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,355 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anacortes vs. Tsawwassen vs. port angeles to Victoria

OP is coming this Thursday..ferry will be cheaper at $49 for car. but to double back to Anacortes and then drive up to Vancouver makes no sense for the minimal $$ savings.. you'll spend it in gas and time waiting at the border.

You are trying to cover way too much ground in limited days..you really underestimate the time it takes for ferries..you have to be there early so more time used just sitting. drop Victoria and do vancouver and Whistler lots to see and do here especially for active kids

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: anacortes vs. Tsawwassen vs. port angeles to Victoria

Thank you so much for your feedback. You are actually correct about the Anacortes ferry price. I called and apparently the round trip includes the islands but NOT Vancouver Island, and not sure what I was looking at except perhaps an old price sheet that had a different price beakdown.

The response I'm getting is overwhelming to drop Victoria given the short time I have. I really appreciate the reality checks and info! You all are awesome!!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,079 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: anacortes vs. Tsawwassen vs. port angeles to Victoria

Some people do it as a one day drive through: leave Vancouver in the morning, basically drive through Vancouver Island to pick up one of the US bound ferries in the afternoon. It seems like a lot of money and trouble to me if you don't have the time to make a good trip of it, but to each their own!

I like to point out that Vancouver Island as a destination deserves 10 - 14 days all on its own. While thousands do Victoria as a day trip from either Vancouver or a US port, it seems a shame to me to rush it like that. If you are a "trophy hunting" sort of tourist (been there, seen that, bought the shirt. Moving on!) then I guess there's good reason for it, but not my style at all.

There's lots to offer in this area. You'll enjoy whatever you settle on.

Victoria
Level Contributor
146 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: anacortes vs. Tsawwassen vs. port angeles to Victoria

Or to do it all...

on Fri am drive straight to Whistler, have Fri night there.

Have Sat/Sun in Vancouver.

Mon catch the Tswassen ferry to Victoria.

Tue take Anacortes ferry back to US and less than 2hr drive to Seattle.

Sacramento...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: anacortes vs. Tsawwassen vs. port angeles to Victoria

I am going with a 7yr old and a 4 yr old and really thank u for this answer. Not going to whistler but I was driving myself crazy with the different options, ferries and doubting about driving or leaving car in Seattle. This last post fton hobbes seems to cover our wish to visit Vancouver and Victoria. Thanks HobbesCanada. And everyone else for input

Edited: 02 August 2014, 16:23
9. Re: anacortes vs. Tsawwassen vs. port angeles to Victoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2015, 05:15