We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around????

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
839 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around????

We do have a car rented for one day but from what I have read BC buses are not very reliable. How are taxis? For the most part we will be walking but there are some restaurants on Oak Bay Blvd we might like to hit and that seems to be around 3 miles from our hotel. Is street parking available on streets like Fort or Oak Bay Blvd? meters?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Marty

calgary
Level Contributor
4,204 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around????

Contrary to what you've heard, the Victoria bus system is reliable. If you just need a car to get to restaurants on Oak Bay AVENUE; then I would take a taxi (also you won't have to worry about drinking and driving then). There is street parking on both Fort and Oak Bay, but if it's busy you might have to park a few blocks from where you want to be. How long are you actually staying in Victoria and when are you coming? Both those answers might help people answer your questions.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,415 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around????

"from what I have read BC buses are not very reliable."

Not at all true public transit is scheduled and busses keep to the schedule you worries are unwarranted.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,108 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around????

Oak Bay Ave has no metres but IIRC, there is a time limit, 2 hours maybe. Outside downtown Vic, there are no parking metres to worry about. Fisherman's Wharf has pay parking, tix from a vending machine. Fort St is downtown and will have metres.

And I already gave you the bus info to get to the White Heather. :-))))

Where did you hear that about the busses in Vic? They have regularly scheduled transit that people use to get to work and get around. The outlying areas will not have what I would call frequent bus service, but the White Heather and Oak Bay is not outlying, and infrequent is different than unreliable.

For taxi fares, you can use http://www.taxifarefinder.com to find the fare between 2 places. Select the country and city first.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,554 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around????

Yes, would love to know where you read that. Were you perhaps reading about the Hop on, Hop off tourist busses, which are not part of the public transit system and are known to have issues?

Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
839 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around????

Sorry......I did not mean to offend anyone. We have used public transportation all over the world and except for a day strike in Rome have never has a problem.

The reviews I scanned quickly:

https://www.google.com/search?q=victoria+bc+buses&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb#lrd=lrd (the link with 10 google reviews)

We will be in Victoria for a few days around July 10th......rented a car for only one day so the other days would be via foot/taxi/bus..........we will certainly use the #2 to head to tea at white Heather.

Another restaurant that looks good is Blighty's Bistro also on Oak Bay Ave and that we would drive to and park on the street. Appreciate the great advice!!!!

Marty/Karen

Edited: 19 June 2014, 21:01
Victoria
Level Contributor
146 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around????

Maybe you have heard that the bus system between cities/towns is not great. That is actually true but the BC Transit ( city buses ) system is very good.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,722 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting around????

If you base your opinion on 10 google reviews, spread over 4 years, then you need to give your head a shake ... considering how many people probably use BC Transit - in various parts of the province every day. I note the latter ... because BC Transit operates buses all over the province in a number of communities.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,554 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting around????

Oh wow, talk about people with an axe to grind! LOL

-- busses are not allowed, its against the law, for them to stop and pick up or drop off between stops. Some bus drivers are nice and do it anyway, but many don't now, probably because they've gotten in trouble for it.

-- busses will drive by a stop when they are full. Not much they can do about it.

Yeah, you can ignore most of those. Yes, you will get the occasional grumpy bus driver, but not too often, the vast majority of them are outgoing and helpful, and yes, they do mostly run on time. Not to worry.

Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
839 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting around????

Please get a grip! I was looking for the #2 bus schedule and happened on these 10 reviews. I cannot imagine why someone would even waste their time writing a public bus review. They need to shake their heads.......not I!!!!! If you have a gripe, call the company. Rest assured we will probably hop on the #2 bus, pay our fare, reach our destination and not jump up and down........end of story.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,108 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting around????

No offence taken, martyap. None at all. I think all of us were surprised to read the word unreliable, period.

I know you will be very happy with bus service in Victoria. The drivers will wait for you if they see you hustling toward their bus. They will happily answer your questions about where to transfer to another bus, where to get off. Victoria is so ...... civilised. You will need Canadian coins to get on the bus, exact fare. I inadvertently tried to use an American quarter the other day for an addfare ticket on the skytrain but it spit the thing right back.

Even people on the street will see you looking at your map, or looking befuddled and come right up to ask you what you're looking for? Where do you want to go? What do you need?