We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with only 1 day in Victoria

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fremont, California
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
What to do with only 1 day in Victoria

My gf and I are taking the coho ferry over to Victoria from Port Angeles (already made reservations). We plan to catch the early ferry to Victoria and will spend the night there (also already booked lodging). We won't have our car, so my question is: what's the best way to explore Victoria walking? It's our first time doing this, so any advise would be great and appreciated!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with only 1 day in Victoria

There is so much you can do within walking distance of downtown/inner harbour. If you come on a weekday you can have a free tour of the Parliament buildings which is an amazing building built by in 1898 by A great British Architect, Francis Rattenbury who also built the Empress Hotel and Steamship Building, now Robert Bateman building (great artist). They are all in the inner harbour. Museum is nearby, Chinatown is walkable, Fisherman's Wharf and Beacon Hill Park are within walking distance too. A fun way to get around is also by little taxi ferries you can get at the inner harbour in front of the Empress.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
988 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with only 1 day in Victoria

It really depends on when you will be in town! If you're going to be here on a Saturday it's worth checking out the fireworks at Butchart Gardens (you can catch a bus downtown or go with a tour company). Ghost Tours are also popular you can meet up with a tour at the visitors info centre at 7:30 and 9:30 (May be 9pm not sure). Beacon hill park is also a great place to visit and is within walking distance. There's the Vikings exhibit going on at the museum right now which may be of interest to you. Fisherman's Wharf is also worth checking out and you can feed the seals. Harbour ferries are a great way to see the harbour and you can take them right up to the Gorge, they also are offering a pub crawl for $15 pp. Craigdarroch Castle is also worth the visit and is a short cab or bus ride away. Also Walking Dallas road and the breakwater is also nice. Basically you don't need to leave the downtown core if you don't want to and everything is within walking distance.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,149 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with only 1 day in Victoria

When I'm in Victoria on a nice day, I try to take a 45-60 min harbour "tour" on the water taxi. They are narrated and go up as far as the entrance to the Upper Gorge.

4. Re: What to do with only 1 day in Victoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 05:17