We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria whale watching and wild life tours

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria whale watching and wild life tours

Going to Victoria this month with 12 year old granddaughter, can anyone recommend a whale/wildlife watching tour?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,028 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria whale watching and wild life tours

Prince of Whales. It is right under the Visitor Center down by the harbour.

http://princeofwhales.com/

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria whale watching and wild life tours

I went with Five Star Whale Watching, you meet at the side of The Empress on Humboldt St. I was very happy with this tour - www.5starwhales.com

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
988 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria whale watching and wild life tours

Either of the two mentioned are great! You just need to decide what type of boat you want to go in zodiac/catamaran/covered etc. we are going out next week and I will be using price of whales and we are going to go out on the larger covered boat.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,149 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria whale watching and wild life tours

The whale watching tours are pretty competitive. They also communicate with each other by radio out on the water to make sure everyone get a good shot at seeing whales and more.

I went with Spring Tide, on a 62 foot cabin cruiser. Just avoid the zodiacs which are open air boats. You dress up in red water resistant gear for those rides.

Up in the green bar, you can see the "Things to Do." If you go into there > Activities > Sightseeing tours, you will find the following page. You can read the reviews for all the companies by people who have taken a whale watching tour.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g154945-Activiti…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,083 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria whale watching and wild life tours

Mufti, you always have incredible advice, but I'm puzzled why you would you say avoid zodiacs. I respectfully disagree. :) I personally think zodiacs make whale watching more fun because you're closer to the water, you have unobstructed views, and you feel more connected to the environment. They're also faster, so you get to the whales quicker than anyone else.

I used to think that zodiacs were flimsy and bouncy like white water rafts, but the ones they use for whale watching have aluminum hulls and are some of the safest, most stable vessels out on the sea, designed to cut through the waves - they're what the coast guards use. The life suits are simply mandatory for riding in a zodiac. They're like big life jackets that cover your body, arms, and legs. They're floatation devices, but also keep you warm from the winds when you're going fast in the open boat. You don't typically get wet from sitting on a zodiac unless it's raining, or unless the captain purposefully manoeuvres the zodiac to splash you. That's been my experience. Also, zodiacs actually have bathrooms on board - although I admit they're tricky to access.

I agree that if you're not seeking that kind of experience, a closed boat might be better suited, but it completely depends on what kind of experience you're seeking. This OP never specified. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss zodiacs, as they truly provide what I think are the best way to watch whales in this region. I think a grandmother, if she's agile, would enjoy the experience as much as her 12 year old granddaughter. :)

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,816 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria whale watching and wild life tours

We went with Eagle Wing out of Fisherman's Wharf, Victoria, a few years ago on our very first visit to VI. It was an experience that still gives me goosebumps..................for all the right reasons!

7. Re: Victoria whale watching and wild life tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 06:16