We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are flights like from Victoria to portland?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
What are flights like from Victoria to portland?

We are staying 2 nights in Victoria and would like to proceed to portland.

We are seniors too set on driving on the left side of the road so need advice to fly or train to next stop. Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,876 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are flights like from Victoria to portland?

You could fly from Victoria to Portland, connecting in Seattle on Air Canada or Alaska.

You could also take the Victoria Clipper from downtown Victoria to downtown Seattle and then connect to Amtrak train to Portland.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are flights like from Victoria to portland?

Thank you Muftivancouver, I think the ferry and train sounds great. Would I have time to catch the train with check in baggage. I'm not sure of distances between pier and station.

3. Re: What are flights like from Victoria to portland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 16:27
4. Re: What are flights like from Victoria to portland?

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 16:28
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,073 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are flights like from Victoria to portland?

I haven't gone it to have a close look at it, but unless you want to have a night in Seattle, you might be best off to fly, although I agree that going by water and rail is probably going to be the better experience.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are flights like from Victoria to portland?

Thanks again, I keep looking as we are not planning to visit until mid September! While I have you on line, is it too late in the season for whale watching. We didn't see any when we were on inside passage to Alaska late sept some years ago.

Appreciate yr help.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,876 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What are flights like from Victoria to portland?

Orca watching off Victoria will be just fine. Oi, looking for whales from a cruise ship is like looking for drop bears in the tree tops.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 08:39
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What are flights like from Victoria to portland?

The Clipper arrives in Seattle around 2 p.m. Once you disembark, you collect your luggage and go through Customs. Outside the terminal, there are lots of cabs and you can just take one to the King Street Station. It's about a 5 - 10 min cab ride. The King Street Station is the main station in Seattle and you can check your luggage there for the train.

There is a 5:30 p.m. train to Portland that arrives in Portland at 9:20 p.m. I did a check for the rates for Sept 15 and for 2 seniors, it's $52.00 for regular (unreserved) coach seats and $93.80 for reserved business class seats. http://www.amtrak.com/home

If it were me, I'd do the Clipper and the train. :)

Edited: 08 July 2014, 14:18
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,876 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What are flights like from Victoria to portland?

Well I have removed my posts because my advice was for getting to the airport not Amtrak's station. I appreciate lucksyll coming on to straighten out my mess.

10. Re: What are flights like from Victoria to portland?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 20:15