We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Whistler & Discount lift ticket & skiing gear

London, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Whistler & Discount lift ticket & skiing gear

Hi everyone,

I will be going to vancouver in Feb 2008 (well, I was going to stay in Whistler, but the accomandation was just waaaaaay too expensive, so I decided to stay in Vancouver and drive to Whistler everyday).

I will be renting a compact car from Budget and was wondering if I'll be needing winter tyre or tyre chains as I know driving on ice can be dangerous. If I do need them, will I be able to rent it from Budget? If not, where can I get winter tyre/ tyre chains from?

Can someone also tell me where is the best place to get discount lift ticket online? and also the best place to rent snowboards & ski plough online.

Any suggestion is very much appreciated.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Whistler & Discount lift ticket & skiing gear

1. Don't stay in Vancouver and drive everyday...it stinks to do that. Trust me I know. Stay in Squamish, cheap hotels there (Motel 8, Best Western-Sea to Sky or hit the Howe Sound Inn), plus way shorter drive time.

2. Chains may or may not be available from your rental agency. Check the web-site. If you need to buy, go to Canadian Tire (there is one in Squamish). In all my times going up to Whistler, I have not used chains, but have had them with me.

3. Wait until you get here to buy lift tikets. Discount tickets ($69.00) at 7-11....yes, again, there are two 7-11's in Squamish. You can also buy here in Vancouver, but NOT in Whistler.

4. No idea....btw, what is a ski plough?

London, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Whistler & Discount lift ticket & skiing gear

I guess Squamish is the way to go.

Do you know roughly how much will the chains cost?

Also, is the $69 Lift ticket for an entire week? and avaliable from any 7-11 in Vancouver/ Squamish? When does the 7-11 lift ticket offer expire? Are they sold out often? I'm going from 02/01/08~02/11/08.

hahaha, i thought ski plough is the skiing gear you wear (the 2 flat thing that goes underneath your boots)... that's what my ski instructor called them when I was in Switzerland. I guess it's not what they are really called.

Thanks for the help!!!

Shropshire, England
Level Contributor
415 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Whistler & Discount lift ticket & skiing gear

The $69 lift pass is just for one day.

I have to say skiing in Whistler is not cheap - but it is worth it. Perhaps it is not the best choice if you are on a tight budget.

For discount lift passes take a look at a www.ski-i.com This is a UK based travel agency and we have not been able to beat their price.

I see that you are thinking of staying at Squamish to keep costs down. I think you will find this very tiring, especially for more than a few days.

Take a look at www.allurdirect.com for rentals direct from owners, which is generally a cheaper option. Whistler Creekside properties tend to have lower rental costs, but you are right by the mountain so this option may be worth looking at.

Cheers

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Whistler & Discount lift ticket & skiing gear

i thoght the cheapies @7-11 were only for bc and wash residents only

London, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Whistler & Discount lift ticket & skiing gear

Can you also help me out on this...

On the websites, it says things like:

3 of 4days Lift ticket

4 of 5days Lift ticket, what does this mean?

Does that mean you can only ski 3days for 3 of 4days and

4 days for 4 of 5days?

So if I would like to ski for 5days, which ticket should I get?

Shropshire, England
Level Contributor
415 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Whistler & Discount lift ticket & skiing gear

The lift passes allow you to have a day off.

As an example if you buy a 3 out of 4 day pass that starts on 1st February. The pass will be valid from 1st Feb to 4th Feb - you can ski any of three of those 4 days.

If you actually want to ski 6 days - you will need

to but a 6 out of 7 pass.

If you book with ski-i before 15th November you get a discounted rate. So you will get a 6 out of 7 pass for the proce of a 5 out of 6.

Hope this makes sense.

London, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to Whistler & Discount lift ticket & skiing gear

You've been great! Thanks so much, it totally make sense now.

Must say, skiing in Canada is a lot more expensive than Europe!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,027 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to Whistler & Discount lift ticket & skiing gear

Hi;

Something to remember...

$1 Canadian is equal to 1.95 GB pound.

Best Regards

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving to Whistler & Discount lift ticket & skiing gear

7-11 passes are available to anyone, and good only for the day. Again, Squamish is the cheaper option, or even Pemberton. The nightlife in each is nearly as good as Whistler.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving to Whistler & Discount lift ticket & skiing gear

Sorry typo...should have read " The nightlife in Squamish or Pemberton is NOT nearly as good as Whistler"