We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Skiiing in Whistler

Which Whistler hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Family Skiiing in Whistler

Hi

We are planning a family trip to Whistler in April 2008. We are planning lessons for the children (6 & 8) who have never skied before and want to stay somewhere close to the ski school. We have been recommended Legends at Creekside. Would this be a good place to stay?

Also we are planning to be in Whistler from Friday to Tuesday mid April. Do weekends still get busy at this time of year?

Thanks for your help!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
747 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Skiiing in Whistler

Our ski season is looking mighty awesome this year. But it would be better if you visit Whistler in Feb. or March to catch the season at its best.

While skiing in higher elevations will still be good in April, those slopes are for experienced skiers. In April, you may find some of the skiing closer to the base will not be as good, if there even will be snow. Since you have young children who are just learning to ski, they will more than likely be sticking close to the base area as the bunny hill is there. Having said that though, there are snow makers.

We go to Whistler in Dec, Jan, Feb, and Mar with our 2 daughters (ages 12 and 8). Once April hits, we don't go as it is pretty iffy with the snow conditions (could be slushy or may not have snow).

We only stay at Legends at Creekside. It offers great family accommodations. Roll out of bed and onto the gondola; yes, the gondola is right next to Legends. We always stay in a 2-bedroom unit, with 2 bathrooms. There's a well-stocked kitchen with all the pots, pans, mixing bowls, utensils, etc. (Yes, I've even baked in that kitchen, having made a strawberry cheesecake from scratch!) There is the Creekside Market over the walkway where you can buy all your groceries. Whistler Kids, which is the kiddie ski school is there as well where you can book your kids into ski school and fit them with rentals. Adults can also get themselves fitted for rentals at the Can-ski there. A Starbucks is also there so you can take a morning stroll to get a Starbucks fix. A short walk will take you to one of the finest restaurants in Whistler -- the Rimrock Cafe -- try it, you won't regret it! If you want more info on Legends, send me an e-mail and I'll give you more detail about room location, etc.

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Skiiing in Whistler

Only problem is that Creekside is 15 mintues drive away from Whistler Village. There are only a few restaurants in the area and very limited shopping area.... quiet, quiet quiet...

Ski School is also available at the base of Blackcomb Mountain as well as base of Whistler Mountain. So don't limit yourself to staying at Creekside. I would suggest staying somewhere closer to the village jsut because it puts you in the heart of things.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
747 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Skiiing in Whistler

Actually, it's a mere 8-minute drive from Whistler Village. I know, I timed it. We live in Creekside about 30 days a year.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Skiiing in Whistler

BumbleBee,

Just wondering where you would suggest in the main village? Is it a long walk from accomodation to the lifts at the main village. I don't know if we'll have a car so we can't drive arounfd everywhere - we'd be on foot. I think I'd prefer to stay in the main village as we have two sons coming with us (19 and 21) who may like to go out at night

Thanks for any info,

Clementine

hong kong
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Skiiing in Whistler

Hi, all,

We are also planning a family skiing holiday with a 4 year old boy. It's going to be our first time in WHistler. Will late March around 23rd be too late for good snow in Whistler?

A friend has recommended the Fairmont. How does this compare with the Westin and Pan Pacific Mountainside?

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Skiiing in Whistler

I can't help you with your plans and nobody replied to my post. It may be better to start a new question. This seems like an old thread and nobody it replying. March seems pretty late for skiing but it would be a bit warmer for your 4 yr old. I don't know how late they ski in Whistler We are not travelling now to Canada this year but still plan to go in 2009.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Skiiing in Whistler

hi all whistler fans, i have been reading yr posts and would love some factual handy tips for family with 3 kids 9, 13, 15 going to whistler for xmas 08, ie: top lodge in village, ski in ski out, close to all action and very nice rooms. I hate holidaying in shabby old hotel rooms. If anyone can recommend a fantastic resort/spa/hotel/lodge in the village suitable for family on a holiday of a lifetime, then please please reply to this post! thanks heaps.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Skiiing in Whistler

yA'LL: I will try to answer all the questions from all of you posters.

Hotels: Pan Pacific, 4 Seasons, Fairmont, etc..are all top flight, 4 star hotels. From there the accomodations can vary, but again, I hope you are coming to ski/ride, not hang out in a hotel or your room. If you want to do that, save the money and time and book a hotel in Vancouver.

Snow: March and April are still fine, although the conditions will be machine groomed hard pack. Chances of big pow dumps are rare. Whistler closes April 18 or so, Blackcomb, sometime in May. Snow will be hard in the morning, soft in the afternoon with the base gradually deteriorating. You may not be able to ride all the way to the base. If you have lessons in April, they may be held on Blackcomb, which will require you to go to the village to access

Creekside v. Village: Creekside is smaller and quieter, but has all the amenities. If you need to go to the village, you can take the bus or walk.

Crowds: Tend to be smaller in April as most have hung up the skis/boards.

Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Family Skiiing in Whistler

Hi!

If you are looking for a holiday of a lifetime, I would recommand that you visit www.premiumexperiences.com. They helped me to plan my trip last year when I came to Whistler with my family. They can accomodate you with a luxurious private chalet, ski in ski out! I know how hard it is to organize activities for a family with kids from different ages...The good thing about this company is that they have a list of activities that you can choose from and that they will arrange for you. I tell you, those guys are the best, you can even start to relax before your trip as they will organize everything for you so you can have a fabulous time with your family.

Have fun!

England
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Family Skiiing in Whistler

I did post a reply to the previous enquiries but it seems to have disappeared.

Try the whistler/ alluradirect accomodation website for all hotels and private condos and maps.

Personally I would want to be in the Village as thats where the 'action' is. There are some lovely ski in ski out places with all the bells and whistles you could want - The Aspens - but they are remote and they are self catering