We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seattle to whistler

Which Whistler hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
130 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
seattle to whistler

I was wondering if there was a bus or train service from seattle to whistler, as it is so much cheaper to fly into seattle, as opposed to vancouver. I know the perimeter bus goes from vancouver to seattle but i would need to get from seattle to vancouver any info would be great, hoping to do trip second week-end in feb 2008

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: seattle to whistler

There are two separate train services--Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver (but it only goes once a day at 7 AM and leaves Vancouver for the return trip at 6 PM).

Then there's the Whistler Mountaineer from Vancouver--but I'm not sure if it even runs in the winter--actually I just confirmed that it does not, so never mind on that. There is bus or shuttle service from Vancouver though (I think that's Perimeter--the bus service between Seattle and Vancouver is Quickshuttle).

You might consider renting a car and driving--it's about a 4.5 hour drive each way from Seattle to Whistler if you bypass downtown Vancouver--if you decide to do that, post again and I can give you the route.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
818 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: seattle to whistler

Hi pooh8,

If you choose to take a train, you will need to find transport from the airport to downtown Seattle.

The Amtrak is available from downtown Seattle to downtown Vancouver (the ride is several hours long). Once in Vancouver we have a couple of bus services from the station to Whistler( the bus trip is about 2 hrs long with construction stops)

The option of renting a car from the airport and driving north into Canada ( about 3 hrs) is another choice and the most direct route. **Warning, yesterday we had a 4 hour wait at the US/CA border. Try not to cross the border on Fri-Sat-Sun.

Flights to Seattle are much cheaper BUT you still have to come north (Vancouver) and north again (Whistler).

My question is......how much is your time worth?

It will basically take a day from Seatac airport to the Whistler Village with all the little stops, customs, contructions, rush hour inbetween.

It may be more to your advantage to fly direct to Vancouver vs 2 days of traveling back and forth Sea- Vanc.

I just took a look at Clipper Vacations based in Seattle and here is what they offer;

package that will include transportation aboard the Amtrak Cascades to Vancouver, where you will then catch a motorcoach bound for Whistler.

clippervacations.com/packages/whistlerwinter…

Good luck,

Noel

Portland, OR
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: seattle to whistler

Amtrak offers a bus/train package, since the line between Seattle and Vancouver is currently closed. Bus transport to Vancouver BC, then catch the train to Whistler.

Tampa
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: seattle to whistler

I am in the middle of researching for a Mtn Bike trip in August '08. If you fly into Seattle, you can take an Amtrak Train ( 7:30 am departure, only one trip daily) or Amtrack bus to Vancouver. From Vancouver you can take the Greyhound bus to Whistler Village. This works out the best since the Greyhound Station and the Amtrak station is in the same location.

You will save about a day if you fly into Vancouver. However, I am travelling with 2 youg boys and one of them loves trains, so we will be taking the 7:30 train into Vancouver the next day.

The cost of the Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver is $84 each way.

The cost of the bus from Vancouver to Whistler Village is $40adults,$20 kids R/T.

Washington
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: seattle to whistler

Does anyone know what the current status of the train from Vancouver to Whistler is? Does it run in January?

Thanks!

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
10,926 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: seattle to whistler

Suggest you post a new thread for this. There is no train in the winter. here is the link to Whistler web site and ways to get there

whistlerblackcomb.com/getting_here/…index.htm

Note Perimeter bus line is out of business.

Train , Amtrak, from Seattle to Vancouver only at about 8am each day.. bus or car from there.

7. Re: seattle to whistler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 11:21