We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ski conditions in May

NYC
1 post
Save Topic
ski conditions in May

My buddy and I are headed to Whistler the around May 13-15th. I know they are open till June 6th, but what can we expect for ski conditions at that time? Do they still get snow?

Is it worth the trip?

Whistler Small-Group Day Trip from...
384 reviews
from US$119.20*
Special Offer
Winter Tour: Whistler and Shannon...
13 reviews
from US$94.00*
US$117.50
Whistler Snowmobile Tour
32 reviews
from US$130.70*
Whistler Helicopter Tour
6 reviews
from US$139.70*
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ski conditions in May

Maybe a "skiff-a-meter" up top. I will still be riding then as well so expect good conditions up high with downloading mid mountain. If you are spring ski fans, yes, it will be worth it, but if you are expecting pow, you best wait until next year.

Sechelt, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ski conditions in May

We can still get snow. It was snowing this morning and ended up turning into a beautiful day on the mountain and you can still ski right into the village. As the weather warms and the snow disappears around the village we will soon start downloading to the village, but the snow up top should still be good. Just need to wax up the skis if it's really warm and the snow is mushy. I agree completely with the previous post, no POW, but definitely still snow up there. You can always rent skis if you are worried about rocks and trees damaging your own.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ski conditions in May

was up today on Blackcomb...sweet up top, morning was icy, but by afternoon mod mountain had sweet conditions...terrain parks still open and busy...lower 1/3 starting to show some wear & tear..now, if we could only do something about getting a couple of bluebirds to come our way...

Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ski conditions in May

We skied top to bottom on Blackcomb on Tuesday, and while the top was nice, and you could still find some powder, things really started to ice up about mid-mountain. The bottom third of the mountain was just extremely soft and very difficult to ski. There are also some pretty large bare patches on Whistler near the base from last Saturday's +19C weather.

coral gables...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ski conditions in May

Hi,

We are here in Whistler and, not sure how they do it, but it is still ski in ski out right down to Skier's Plaza. Last year we skied Whistler May 19 and you had to download, but the snow on top was great. On the 21st we left the mountain because it was snowing too much

Sabina

www.cedarridge18.com

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ski conditions in May

We have been skiing Whistler since '65 and had a fabulous three days so far this week, skiing is like mid January right now, which is really weird for Whistler. You may luck out and have a great time or it could really warm up and a lot of this snow could disappear with rain. It will probably be pretty quiet in the village and a lot of the places close up to prepare for the summer. It could be raining a lot or fabulous sun, it is a real gamble.I find it pretty boring after the end of April. Our temperatures up here really vary, last Saturday it was around 68F and this Saturday it was -4F, but that was pretty exceptional. If it is not too expensive a trip, you could chance it but don't expect fresh snow...although you never know with the way the climates are changing! The forecast for today at 7:30 am is -2 at the peak, in the village -8. Often we have a temperature inversion like this. The current snow base is 95 inches. If you want to check the information daily on the phone call...604-932-4211. I think you would have to put 011 or 001 before that number. By the way, only Blackcomb will be open as Whistler closes today. Last day for skiing and that's where we're heading now. Good Luck to you.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
92 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ski conditions in May

This has all been very helpful. I'll be up with my family from the South Pacific during the 1st week in June. Hopefully, there will still be enough slush up top to make some turns.

Even if it's slush... it's more snow than we see in our part of the world.

I guess we won't be making snowmen, but at least we'll see some whitish-brown patches here and there.

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ski conditions in May

Well today we skied Blackcomb as Whistler is closed. it really is not worth skiing unless you are a good intermediate to expert skier, most of the mountain is closed off for construction of the Peak to Peak Chairlift. For one thing, it would be really difficult skiing for a beginner and there were some up there struggling to day. So many areas are closed as they are also clearing the snow off the roads so they can take their equipment up for the new lift. When they advertise that the mountain is open they should really specify that only maybe 1/3 is open, but they NEVER do things that way. Really, I would not bother coming up to Whistler to ski in May, even this last part of April is a joke or maybe we are just spoiled!!

9. Re: ski conditions in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 00:18