We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport from Whistler to Jasper

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Public transport from Whistler to Jasper

My husband & I plan to travel from Whistler to Jasper on 8th May.

Wld be really grateful for assistance on

1. which wld be the best (not too expensive &

fairly comfortable) public transport to

take? We will not be driving.

2. We're staying at Seasons At Whistler,

Tricouni Place. Where shd we take the

How far is this pick up point from our

3. How many hours is this journey and does the

bus/coach/train stop over for the night?

4. Any idea on how much is the cost of

Thank you in anticipation.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
77,341 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport from Whistler to Jasper

Jasper is approx. 463 miles / 745 km from Whistler.

There is no train service between these to points.

The bus/coach ride is 576 miles / 927 km, and is either 14¼ hours or 25 hours in duration depending on the time of departure. The 25 hour trip requires an 11½ hour layover, and both trips require a transfer from one bus to another. The fare is $129 / person, plus tax.

For full details see; www.greyhound.ca

Best Regards

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
571 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport from Whistler to Jasper

Actually there is a train option.

The Rocky Mountaineer does a trip from Whistler to Jasper. This is a deluxe tour and is not cheap.

Hope this helps :0)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,768 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport from Whistler to Jasper

I'd just travel from Whistler to Vancouver, then Vancouver to Jasper. That'll give you the most options.

There are various options to Vancouver from Whistler, from cheap & efficient Greyhound (multiple departures throughout the day) to luxurious Whistler Mountaineer (one departure around 2pm each day). You may have to spend the night in Vancouver, however.

Then, if you prefer the train, both VIA Rail and Rocky Mountaineer have trains to Jasper. VIA is much cheaper and it's non-stop. Rocky Mountaineer costs well over $1000 per person and it's a 2 day affair as they spend the night in Kamloops so that you're able to take advantage of travelling during the daylight hours only. The downside is that the Rocky Mountaineer departs so early as to be criminal!

Both VIA and Rocky Mountaineer have limited schedules, often departing Vancouver only 2-3 times a week.

Kuala Lumpur
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport from Whistler to Jasper

TQ for all the replies.

Whistler Mountaineer (Whistler to Jasper route) only starts on 13th May, so this is not possible for us.

We're booked on Whistler Mountaineer (Vancouver to Whistler route) on 2nd May. We're also booked to stay in Whistler for 6 nights , then on to Jasper for 2 nights followed by the Rocky Mountaineer from Jasper to Vancouver on 11th May.

My only concern is the Whistler - Jasper portion. Wld be great if we could go to Jasper without having to come back to Vancouver. The 14 hour Greyhound option (Whistler to Jasper) seems interesting. Next option is VIA, the non-stop train (Vancouver to Jasper).

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport from Whistler to Jasper

You time in Jasper seems quite short for the distance you have to travel to get there. Since you are already taking the train back to Vancouver, you may want to consider flying from Vancouver to Calgary or Edmonton and make your way to Jasper from there.

From Calgary, there are lots of shuttle services that will take you to Banff. From there you can take a tour along the very scenic Icefields Parkway to Jasper.

There are shuttle services directly to Jasper from the Edmonton Airport, but scenery on the way would not be as spectacular.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transport from Whistler to Jasper

Tks Jerm,

I'll think about it.

Maiden Gully...
Level Contributor
19 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transport from Whistler to Jasper

I am planning to do the trip from Whistler to Jasper in late September 2008 and wondered, travelmadKualaLumper, if you did this trip and what advice can you give? I am planning to get around on the Greyhound Bus as i believe it is alot cheaper than Rocky Mountaineer and i am someone who can't sit still for long. The bus option appeals to me as i can hop on and off. Can anyone tell me how long it takes and where would be a good place to have a stopover? I plan to do my entire trip via public transport.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,663 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transport from Whistler to Jasper

you might also want to check out the Mooose Bus. Not sure if it fits what you want but could be good option for you.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,261 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public transport from Whistler to Jasper

Nadia, there is no comparison between the Greyhound bus and the Rocky Mountaineer. RMRT is a deluxe touring train, not just transportation from point A to B.

Not being able to sit for long periods of time would, to me, be an argument for taking the train (VIA Rail service - www.viarail.ca - is cheaper than Rocky Mountaineer), as you can get up and walk around, but you can't do that on the bus. Most of the bus stops along the way are pretty quick, just long enough to board new passengers, and for the smokers to have a quick butt outside. Unless you are travelling on a pass, stop-overs on the bus will require an additional bus ticket. You can get full info about Greyhound at their website www.greyhound.ca

Be forewarned - public transport in western Canada is pretty sparse.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,939 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public transport from Whistler to Jasper

I'd like to second the vote for the train. You can definately get up and walk from car to car, stand at a window and sightsee. The bus you are pretty much forced to sit while on the road. It would be much more uncomfortable if you are not happy sitting for long stretches.

I've been around Australia on a bus and the length of the British Isles on a train - give me a train any day!