We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bears in Whistler

Which Whistler hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Bears in Whistler

Hi,

We are considering Whistler for a week long break in the summer. Last year we stayed in Mont Tremblant in Quebec and our teenagers loved it so thought we would try the same kind of holiday in a different part of Canada.

Some information we have looked at said that bears can sometimes come close to properties around Whistler. Does anyone know how true this is, and if so, how do people stay safe.?

Cheers.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,486 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bears in Whistler

If you click on my name and look up the Inside Page on Wildlife Viewing, you will find links to the BC Parks brochures about encoutering bears.

The bears you get in Whistler Village will be black bears. Black bears are omnivores with a particular weakness for garbage. The way to stay stafe is to not accustomize them to getting food in and around where people are. You'll find bear-proof garbage cans and municipal bylaws around garbage collection to minimize the chances that bears will get into the garbage. MOST importantly DO NOT APPROACH OR FEED ANY WILDLIFE. Stand calmly and admire from a distance. Again, reference the BC Parks brochure for appropriate behaviour.

I've had several bear encounters in the areas around Greater Vancouver. They usually stare at you for a moment and run off. I was once photographing one that was eating leaves in a roadside tree, and the sound of my shutter clicking was enough to make it climb down and leave. These animals are rarely openly aggressive, but you are well advised to be cautious and not act in any way that might be perceived as threatening.

Campbell, California
Level Contributor
68 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bears in Whistler

Black bears are everywhere in that area, but they are not a big problem unless they are garbage bears. We have encountered some few feet away and the main thing is not to run from them. Just sing a song and leave... They sell bear bells in town:-)

3. Re: Bears in Whistler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 04:18