We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road from Whistler to Kamloops - pls comment

Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
road from Whistler to Kamloops - pls comment

I will be driving from Whistler to Kamloops (actually, Valemount where we are stopping for the night en route to Edmonton). I used to live in Vancouver and have driven the sea to sky many, many times (although haven't been up there for about 5 or 6 years). I have never driven through Pemberton, Lillooet, etc and have heard it is quite a narrow, winding mountain road. I am a good driver and not particularly nervous, but after a few comments I am wondering about this route. I have a good vehicle (small SUV) and don't mind taking my time, but would appreciate any comments about the drive. Maybe I would be more comfortable going back through Vancouver?? (although this would add a significant amount of time onto the trip).

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,934 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road from Whistler to Kamloops - pls comment

Check this web site for photos of the hwy and the area. I think you will be fine..especially if you used to drive the sea to sky!

…intergate.ca/personal/pl8s/BC99/hwy_99_5.htm

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
561 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road from Whistler to Kamloops - pls comment

When are you travelling? as season of travel can be a major concern on this section of highway.

Whistler
Level Contributor
12 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road from Whistler to Kamloops - pls comment

I love that road.

Take your time, and enjoy the view. Past Jofree Lakes the road is very steep going down into the Pemberton Valley. Make sure you gear your vehicle down into a low gear, and let the transmission do the work. Otherwise, you might burn our your brakes. I try not to use the brakes on the big decent.

It is only a short walk into the first of Jofree Lakes, well recommended. The second lake is a few hours each way.

Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road from Whistler to Kamloops - pls comment

Thanks for the responses. I will be driving the highway the first week in August. Also - after looking more closely at the map, I realize that I don't actually need to go to Kamloops if I take this route ... the road takes me to Lillooet and past 70 mile house and onto Jasper.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,316 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: road from Whistler to Kamloops - pls comment

I've advised caution on this road for travelers in rented RVs, particularly if they are from areas that do not have winding mountain roads. I have done that route a couple of times myself in a regular car - no worries. It's a lovely drive!

Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: road from Whistler to Kamloops - pls comment

What about not using the brakes? Someone mentioned "gearing down". Does everyone do this? Can I just drive "normally" in my 2006 Ford Escape?

whistlerlocal
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: road from Whistler to Kamloops - pls comment

I'm a Whistler local. My parents recently drove this road and found it to be as you described -- one where you need to be very "engaged". The road is a bit bumpy and windy. My parents loved Seaton Lake - -said it was stunning. So..pros and cons. If you're staying in the Sea to Sky it does take off approximately 1 hour in drive time.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,316 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: road from Whistler to Kamloops - pls comment

"Gearing down" is for those of us driving standards I guess. ;>

Canada
Level Contributor
351 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: road from Whistler to Kamloops - pls comment

Gearing down would more likely be needed going in the other direction, but do gear down rather than riding your brakes and burning them out (even automatic cars allow this - it may say 'L' for low).

This is one of the most beauiful drives I have done. It is windy and slow, but I don't see that as a negative on a road this gorgeous. If you have time (don't rush) this is highly recommended.

Note that except for Lillooet there are not many services (gas, food) until you meet the highway again, but it is a short distance and you won't have a problem if you gas up in Whistler (oh - gas in Whistler, I bet that's expensive right now)

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,050 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: road from Whistler to Kamloops - pls comment

If you are driving the first week of August, this may be the only route if the sea to sky isn't reopened after the rockslide. It may be busier than usual!