We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peak Chair Lift

Which Whistler hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Peak Chair Lift

I'll be traveling with my family to Whistler at the end of January 2009. All of them either ski or snowboard, however I do not.

Question #1

I've been reading up on the websites and understand that I can purchase a sightseeing ticket to access the Whistler and Blackcomb Gondolas as well as the Peak to Peak. It appears that in summer there is also access to the Peak Chair Lift for pedestrians. Is that also a possibility in winter, or is the peak chair lift only available to skiers/boarders in winter? I'd really like to go all the way to the peak if I can.

Question #2

Regarding snowshoeing. I am an experienced at snowshoeing and have my own snowshoes. I see that there are guided snowshoe trips on the mountain. Do you have to sign up for one of the guided trips to use these trails, or can you go on your own? Are the trails well marked?

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peak Chair Lift

Your family is like mine - I'm the non-skier but I have been snowshoeing a few times. Not sure about Question #1 - I've been up to the peak in summer but not in winter.

As to question #2: you don't have to go on a guided trip to enjoy the snowshoeing. There are trails of 3 different levels of difficulty near Lost Lake that you can access from the Cross Country Connection hut just off Lorimer Road near Fitzsimmons Creek. A day pass costs under $10. Skiers and snowshoers go on different trails but they're all well marked and easy to follow. crosscountryconnection.ca/winter/trails.html

Another area for snowshoeing is near Nicklaus North golf course and Green Lake. I'm not sure but I think you can buy tickets for these trails, at Meadow Park Recreation Centre - and your ticket includes use of the rec centre.

There are also a lot of snowshoeing trails in the newly developed Callaghan Valley area where the Olympic ski jumping and Nordic skiing will take place in 2010. We tried to do these last winter but some of our group didn't have snowshoes, and all the rentals were out with a group of school kids. I'm looking forward to checking those trails out this year. www.crosscountryconnection.ca/winter/wop.html

One more link that you might find useful: http://www.whistler.ca/content/view/69/289/

Have fun!

Ontario
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Peak Chair Lift

Thanks for the info Swardyver! I thought I'd surfed everything to do with Whistler, but some of your links were things I hadn't seen before.

I was hoping to snowshoe at elevation (which some of the guided tours do), but the Olympic Park looks great. What a hoot it would be to watch the Olympic Nordic events and see trails I'd snowshoed.

Thanks for all the info.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peak Chair Lift

you are very welcome - enjoy your visit!

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peak Chair Lift

Have a look at this website http://www.adventureswhistler.com and look up their snowshoe options. The offer tours on Whistler Mountain up by Olympic Station which is midstation at 3,346 feet (1,019 m).

Their prices include the gondola pass, which means that after your tour, you can use the pass and go up to the Roundhouse Lodge (I'm guessing the Peak to Peak pass isn't included but you can purchase the additional for this with at the gondola).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,198 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peak Chair Lift

I'm not a snowshoer (XC skiing myself these days), but there is SO much wilderness and backcountry around there, that I'm sure you could find a trail off the commercial mountain that you could use. The people who do that sort of activity can be found on the forums on ClubTred.com

We skiied the Callahagn Valley last year - beautiful!It's quite a way off the main highway, but because the elevation is a bit higher than the Lost Lake Trails around Whistler (which are operated by the municipality, which is why you will find NO information about them on any of the websites run by Whistler/Blackcomb), the snow is more reliable. The Callahagn Valley is popular with backcountry skiiers and snow mobilers (each in their own area), so you might find the kind of experience you are looking for out there.

6. Re: Peak Chair Lift

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 02:16