We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski Lessons: Do you ever get to see the 'other' mountain?

NY
11 posts
Save Topic
Ski Lessons: Do you ever get to see the 'other' mountain?

I will have only 3 days to ski when in Whistler; therefore, I wanted to ski with the group that is led by a guide. This being my first trip to Whistler, I hope skiing with instructor will prove to be the best way to relax and avoid thinking as to which run to take next. It appears that only 'Private' and 'Supergroup' (limited to only 3 skiers) lessons take place on the Blackcomb mountain. The regular, Summit Sessions lessons (a group of up to 8 skiers), are only offered at Whistler. This is a major deal breaker for me as we are staying in the Blackcomb area. I actually prefer to ski with a larger group; it is more fun in my experience since I am not all about perfecting my technique, but more about having a good time. Expense of the private/semi-private lessons aside, it is also about convenience: my hotel is closer to Blackcomb and offers a very convenient ski concierge service on the bottom of this mountain, but not in Whistler village.

Thanks for your patience reading thus far; here is my Question: with introduction of a P2P gondola, has anyone seen any ski instructors taking their students from Whistler to Blackcomb?

Your responses are greatly appreciated! Wishing you all to have an exiting and safe adventures on the mountain :-)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski Lessons: Do you ever get to see the 'other' mountain?

No. Lessons will run on one mountain or the other. I don't think they would take groups from one side to the other.

new zealand
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski Lessons: Do you ever get to see the 'other' mountain?

Have you thought of ski esprit. They run 3 day courses for level 2 up. I did one before Christmas and it was great. Because W/B is such a huge mountain you really do need a guide to show you where to go etc. They ski both sides of the mountain and get daily updates on the best runs for your level they are also very reasonably priced. The group sizes depend we had 4 in ours but another group had 6. The instructors are excellent and dont wear you out on the first day.

Whistler
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ski Lessons: Do you ever get to see the 'other' mountain?

The espirit program is good as mentioned.

You can also take a day with a 'mountain host' as they do tours around the mountains for free, no lesson involved, just a guided tour.

Private lessons - the instructor will take you where you want to go on either mountain - so long as the believe you can safely ski in.

The summit sessions will stay on whistler mountain all day I believe.

I have not seen any instructors on the p2p with groups.

NY
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski Lessons: Do you ever get to see the 'other' mountain?

thanks to everyone who has replied. Espirit classed must start on Mondays (the day I am going back home). I am not interested in private lessons at this time, but skiing only Whistler sounds like I will be missing on something really good. I definitely like the idea of a ski host. So I either will start with that, or go for Summit Sessions on Friday at Whistler, then Supergroup on Saturday, and Sunday will be either another full day lesson on Whistler or half day with Supergroup depending on my experiences with both groups. I am departing for the airport in 12 hours... will share my experiences when come back next week.

5. Re: Ski Lessons: Do you ever get to see the 'other' mountain?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 00:18
Get answers to your questions about Whistler