We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

in need of advise + march 23 roll call!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Topic
in need of advise + march 23 roll call!

Hi,

I have a wedding to attend in vancouver march 28th, and figured I should take advantage being out west and go check out whistler. So I have booked my flight arriving vancouver in the evening of March 20th. Being my first time in vancouver, i figured i would stay in town over the week end to check out some sites, and head out for whistler on Monday. however, would it be best if I head out sunday instead this way taking advantage of a full ski day monday? If I do leave monday first thing, would it be a waste of a day, considering travelling time, and check in..etc...?

Furthermore, I am so lost on choosing the perfect accomodations! I have no idea what to expect. So any advise would be helpful. i would like a ski in ski out place, that is well located, that would require minimal walking, or else a place with shuttle service would be best to just drop me off the base and get straight on to the lifts. but again, i have no clue what this place is like so kinda hard to choose!Any suggestions that can help me narrow it down would be appreciated!

Furthermore, if you are going to be there March 23rd, it would be great to meet up! NOt sure how easy it is to meet people there to hang out with at night. I will be with my sister..both in our early 30`s but she usually doesn`t do the apres ski :(. I really hope to meet people that i can take advantage of some great apres ski in whistler since i hear its great!

Looking forward to any suggestions! :D

Vancouver
Level Contributor
698 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: in need of advise + march 23 roll call!

If you can afford it I would go to Whistler on the Sunday, most hotels have check in at 3:00P.m. night, so even if you went up on Monday morning you likely wouldn't get into your hotel until late afternoon. Remember you are going to Whistler during spring break so prices will be expensive. If you do decide to go up on Monday just check to make sure that there are no closures on the highway to Whistler, there is lots of construction happening because of the Olympics.

As far as where you should stay, I find the ratings of the hotels on this website very good so check them out and let your budget decide which one, my favorite is Pan Pacific Village.

If you don't know the mountains well you can have a mountain host give you a tour, these tours are free and would probably be a great way to meet others. You can find out the times etc when you arrive in Whistler.

Have fun.

Ali

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: in need of advise + march 23 roll call!

what is the benefit of having a mountain host? Is it like a tour guide? what is there for them to show you?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
698 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: in need of advise + march 23 roll call!

They just give you a tour of the mountain, point you in the right direction, to runs which would suit your ability, you don't stay with them all day. Don't use them if you are know the mountain well.

Ali

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: in need of advise + march 23 roll call!

I would stay in vancouver for the day on sunday, then head out sunday night to whistler and check in. the weekdays are quieter than the weekends on the mountains, so if you want to avoid crowds, avoid the weekend.

as for a place to stay, grab something in the village... i would not recommend staying outside the village (e.g creekside) but you could do village north which has some better skin in ski out available

as for the meet up, would love to but can't...work. I am sure you will have no problems in finding people to party with...enjoy

Vancouver
Level Contributor
698 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: in need of advise + march 23 roll call!

Village North is not ski in ski out, but it is a pretty short walk to the slopes.

Ali

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: in need of advise + march 23 roll call!

so I guess the village it is..thanks for your replies! Now I have to figure out where? Goind down south is sooooooo much easier..haha.

Any suggestions for the best value for your $$? And would you say that any place within the village would be a good choice? let me know if there is any place i should definately avoid.

Thanks again! :)

toronto
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: in need of advise + march 23 roll call!

Best place for ski in ski out is the fairmont. Being in the upper village it is a close walk to the village or short shuttle ride. Much quieter than the main village and you have Merlins for the best Apres ski IMO.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: in need of advise + march 23 roll call!

Okay..so I think I have narrowed it down to either the westin or the delta hotel. The price difference is a mere 100$ per person for the 5 nights. (westin being the more expensive) Not much of a difference..but not sure which one to choose. Which is best and why?

9. Re: in need of advise + march 23 roll call!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 02:16