We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days needed for Whistler?

Which Whistler hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
avicov
Level Contributor
356 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
How many days needed for Whistler?

Hi there

Visiting Vancouver and Whistler for the first time. Never done sking but am going with the wife to lap up the nature, sights and chill out.

We have 10 nights to split between the 2 places at the end of April/May.

What do you guys reckon I should do with the split?

Thanks

Vancouver
Level Contributor
698 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days needed for Whistler?

Really depends what you want to do and how active you are. You might want to wait to decide once you reach Vancouver so you can check out the weather at Whistler, end of April can have great sunny weather or be cold and rainy in which case I would probably stay longer in Vancouver or even head to Victoria where the weather is usually better.

Ali

avicov
Level Contributor
356 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days needed for Whistler?

Thanks for getting back to me.

Maybe 3 nights as a non-skier is probably enough do you think? We want enough time to chill out.

I take it Whistler is open all year round?

During mid-week is the Whistler quite busy at the end of April? or is it at weekends it gets busy?

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days needed for Whistler?

As a nonskiier what do you hope to get out of Whistler?

Whistler
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days needed for Whistler?

April 17 - 26 is the World Ski and Snowboard festival - so it will be fairly busy (in the village, ski hill who knows)

April 26th Whistler mountain closes, and only Blackcomb is open to ski. Still great, but as a first time skier, I would suggest you want to ski Whistler - therefore you really should come before the 17th April (unless you want to join the WSSF party).

Any other dates in April/May will be quiet - even weekends.

Probably 3 days of skiing would be enough, but there is more to do then skiing. Lots of fun activities in Whistler.

Also, like someone mentioned, maybe go to Vancouver first, and check the snow conditions - then decide whether to do Whistler first, or later in the period.

A good site to keep up to date with the snow conditions is mine at

http://whistlerblackcombsnowreport.com/

Lake Louise
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days needed for Whistler?

If you're not into skiing, you'll need at least 5 or 6 days to get everything in. The timing is pretty good consiudering the weather's usually pretty decent in the beginning of May. Whistler has a lot more going on in terms of diverse activities in the summer season than in the winter.

I'd reccomend:

Day 1: Ziptrekking - Wicked fun. Basically there is a hiking compenet and then a series of ziplines where you're in a harness "flying" over ravines. This one is great for all ages. If it's not a big enough thrill there's also bunjee jumping nearby.

Dinner at Bearfoot Bistro : Biggest wine cellar in Canada.

Day 2: Mountain biking/cruiser biking. It's alittle early in the season, so some of the more rugged trails might have snow on them, but Whistler has over 80 KM of biking trails startig from the village. Most of the trails are pretty tame, but the further out you go, the more extreme they can get. Later in the summer whistler has the world's largets downhill mtn biking park.

Dinner; Wherever Guitar Doug is Playing

Day 3: Canoe Trip: Across alta lake and down the River of Golden Dreams, this 3 hour trip meanders through 2 of whistler's 3 golf courses and is my best ever whistler experience.

Dinner: Quattro - If it's thrusday then it's $10 pasta night! Best Italian in town.

Day 4: Golf. Even if you don't Golf, golf. There are 3 courses in town. Nicklaus North is beautiful and flat, The Fairmont Golf Course is the most challenging with tonnes of vertical or the Whistler Golf course. Run by the municpality it's the best value in town.

Dinner: If it's Friday - Fairmont Fridays at the Farimont Chateau Whistler. Free appies, drink specials and live entertainment. If you've got kids, on fridays and Saturdays Fairmont offers a buffet for families from 4:30 PM to 6 Pm in the Wildflower restaurant. Adults - $10,Kids - $5 Best deal in town.

Day 5: Snowshoe/Ski/Snowboard - Go up on the hill and do some snowsports. Aslo ride the Peak to Peak Gondola from Balckcomb to Whistler or vice/versa. It has the longest unsupported span of any gondola in the world. Wait for one of the 2 glass-bottomed gondolas if you really want to appreciate being 1500 feet above the valley floor.

Dinner: Sushi - If you're in BC you need to eat sushi at least once, and there's about 5 or 6 great suchi places in town.

Day 6: The Village. Whistlervillage is pedestrian only and it has great shopping aside from the souvenir shops. It's also great to do some patio hopping to relax. There's so much outdoor dining year-round in Whistler, teh people watiching is fantastic and the beer is ice cold.

Dinner: Appies on the patio at Citta.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,284 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days needed for Whistler?

Was the canoe trip organized or did you just put your canoe in the water?

Lake Louise
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days needed for Whistler?

I did the canoe trip through backroads whistler. They drop you off at the lake and pick you up at the end of the trip. I did the unguided trip and I think it cost around $50, but they do a guided trip as well.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,284 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days needed for Whistler?

Sound great and thanks for the help. I don't know about the guide, but we definately need the canoe. Did you see bears?

Lake Louise
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How many days needed for Whistler?

I don't remember if I saw bears on that particular trip, but if you're in Whistler in the Spring and Summer you will see black bears at some point for sure.

avicov
Level Contributor
356 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many days needed for Whistler?

Thanks for all the responses. Interesting stuff!

My only worry is that you are saying that Whistler mountain shuts after April 26. Does that mean you can't get a gondola to the top?

What about Blackcomb? Can I visit the top?

Also is it easy to walk to the lakes etc? How far are they from the Village?

Will all the restaurants/bars be open at the end of April/May

Cheers!