We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is calgary to whistler car hire impossible?

Which Whistler hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
590 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
is calgary to whistler car hire impossible?

I'm hoping to rent a car from calgary and drop in whistler instead of vancouver to save rental costs, car parking and also negotiating vancouver traffic! I've trawled 'google' and many sites to no avail. Has anyone done this or know of any firms? Thanks.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,266 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: is calgary to whistler car hire impossible?

Any company that does one-way rentals will oblige-all you have to do is determine if the price is worth it.

It will certainly be more than dropping the car in Vancouver since there will be far fewer people wanting to rent a car to drive one-way to Calgary from Whistler.

BTW-once you drop the car here you have no need to worry about parking charges and Vancouver traffic is best described as mild.

Holland
Level Contributor
567 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is calgary to whistler car hire impossible?

Hi,

Hertz, Budget and Avis are the rental companies that used to have offices in Whistler.

As I have been using Avis in the past few years, on oneway from and to Vancouver airport, I was not sure about Hertz and Budget.

Just did some research and can't find any Hertz or Budget location in Whistler, so I believe Avis is the only one left.

Their address is:

Avis Car & Truck Rental

4315 Northlands Blvd, Whistler, BC V0N 1B4

Telephone : 604-932-1236

I don't know about Calgary- Whistler rental, should be possible but at certain drop-off costs.

How long are you staying in Whistler and what kind of transportation are you going to use to head back to Vancouver ? I am asking because going back by bus, train or other means can add up as well and renting a car just 1 or a few days extra usually is not that much more expensive, sometimes renting longer is even becoming cheaper.

Parking fees in Whistler are about 20 cnd dollar per night in hotels. Parking at condo's, homes usually is free. Ask your hotel or rental company.

BTW - Parking overnight in the main parking lot in the village is for free also.

Check rates and reconsider dropping off in Whistler.

If you need more info, let me know !

Have fun !

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
590 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is calgary to whistler car hire impossible?

I've tried Avis and there's no cars available from Calgary when we want?!? I think we'll keep it and drop it at vancouver airport!

Victoria
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: is calgary to whistler car hire impossible?

Nope - not impossible but you will pay a hefty drop-fee. Pick-up in Calgary and drop-off in Vancouver is much cheaper. Fantastic way to see the best of the best in Western Canada.

www.travelcanadawest.com

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,714 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is calgary to whistler car hire impossible?

>> I've tried Avis and there's no cars available

That's because they don't do Whistler dropoff. If you switch the dropoff location to say YVR, cars will magically appear for the same dates.

6. Re: is calgary to whistler car hire impossible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2009, 05:22