We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this location good?

Westport, CT
Level Contributor
128 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Is this location good?

I posted a while ago looking for accommodations during the Olympics. I have found a reasonable rental in a private home in Whistler Cay. It is near the corner of Easy Street and Balsam Way. The owner says it is one minute from a bus stop that can take you to the village or the base of the mountain. She also says it is a 10-15 minute walk to the village. I would really appreciate any advice from a local resident as to whether this would be a good spot for us. We are a fit couple, with a teenage daughter. I would mostly be concerned if it is a very isolated spot, not near any restaurants or a grocery store, and a pain to go skiing. The truth is, I am not finding anything else that is in this price range, so I don't expect it to be a slope-side chateau ;) Thanks in advance.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this location good?

I wouldn't describe this area as isolated at all. I would describe it as residential and I think your owner is being fair in her description. The transit system is very good and frequent.

Honestly, there will be some schlepping involved, with skis and groceries, but you seem aware of the tradeoff and just about any location that is not slopeside will contend with this.

The village can get quite noisy at night, particularly during high season and I personally find it a benefit to be a bit out of the action for sleeping.

Good luck!

busonline.ca/regions/whi/schedules/map.cfm…

vancouver
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this location good?

I would be extremely careful renting a suite in a private home during the Olympics is that it isn't zoned for nightly rentals. If there was an existing renter in that suite who has been displaced for the Olympics you might run into some problems and have absolutely no recourse.

www.whistler.ca/index.php…

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this location good?

I bet it is just a bedroom in their house. You should confirm everything though before you go.

vancouver
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this location good?

Unless you have a house zoned as a b&b it's illegal to rent out bedrooms for the Olympics unless it's for games workforce. I'm sure it's appealing to get a great rate, but please be aware that there is a potential downside as well.

Sorry Westportia, don't mean to rain on your parade. Just want to make sure your interests are protected.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this location good?

Hi all

I posed the following question to the email address 'gamesinfo@whistler.ca'

Good Day

Could you kindly advise how a tourist renting accommodation in a residence in Whistler can confirm that their property owner is compliant with TCUP and their accommodation arrangements are safe?

Thanks in advance.

The prompt response was:

Thank you for your email. Temporary Commercial Use Permits (TCUP) are issued only to homeowners who are:

1.Not zoned (Municipally) for Tourist Accommodation; and

2.Will be renting to Games Workforce only.

This means that Tourists cannot rent from property owners that have been issued a TCUP – only Games Workforce can (and this is verified by the Resort Municipality of Whistler by having TCUP Applicants submit proof of contract with a Games Workforce business/organization at the time of application).

Tourists can rent in Whistler from tourist accommodation providers.

For more information on the TCUP process, please see:

www.whistler.ca/index.php…

Westportia, you don't say how you arranged your rental and you may not have any problems at all. If you or any others have any doubts about the legality of their accomodations I suggest they contact the folks at the link to reassure themselves rather than speculate.

I think it's likely to be a very memorable trip, indeed.

Westport, CT
Level Contributor
128 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this location good?

Thank you very much for the advice. In addition to the questions I asked, I also had concerns about how to verify whether the situation was legitimate, but we hadn't gotten to that point yet. (I have not committed to anything.) I will ask for documentation of that permit if we get to that point.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this location good?

Do you mind my asking whether you found this property through VBRO or alluradirect?

Westport, CT
Level Contributor
128 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this location good?

Neither. I posted an ad on Craigslist, and the owner contacted me.

Holland
Level Contributor
567 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this location good?

In that case the accommodation is likely not being zoned as nightly rental/tourist accommodation and the owner just sees his chance to make money while going out of town himself.

Owners renting out via AlluraDirect have to state in their policies on their website and in their rental agreements wether their accommodation is legally zoned as nightly rental. They have to contribute to Tourism Whistler and are as such registered as accommodation provider.

i am not sure whether VBRO as website provider also has a requirement for owners to inform renters about being legally zoned as nightly rental.

All owners renting out their accommodation to tourist must have a property that is legally zoned as tourist accommodation and are all obligatory to contribute to Tourism Whistler and as such known by them.

I am not sure if Tourism Whistler will give you information, but you can always give them a call and find out.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,303 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this location good?

Home insurance coverage is an important issue too.

If the home owner has insurance for the legal residents at that address but has not arranged to have coverage for paying guests (short term rentals), then everyone is taking a chance. Especially the guest if third party liability is under insured.