We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ice fishing in Whislter

Which Whistler hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Ice fishing in Whislter

Hi there,

I'm really hoping someone can help me. I'm trying to find a cmpany who offer ice-fishing tours in or around Whistler. I know there are places who pick you up, take you out on the ice in a little heated hut, then BBQ your catch. Any recommendations - or even people who might know of individuals who run private tours?

Trying to find something unique as a Christmas present for our dad, that's not skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling or dog mushing (we're already doing those things!)

Thanks!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,207 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ice fishing in Whislter

You got me....my only suggestion is to get in touch with some of the Whistler fishing outfitters and ask ? A names I do know of-

http://www.whistleroutfitters.com/fish.html

Maybe they can send you in the right direction? Good luck.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,039 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ice fishing in Whislter

The answers you rec'd on LP TT were correct-it's Fly Fishing country and few lakes are open for ice fishing-that's not what Whistler is about-not even close.

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ice fishing in Whislter

No ice fishing in Whistler in a hut where you can BBQ your catch. I've done that in Banff but don't know of any companies in Whistler. Whistler is also mainly catch and release. I usually work with Whistler Fishing and the owner tells me that fishing is not recommended during December to March. They have offered fishing during the winter months for several years in the past. However, the fishing during that time period is tough and sometimes impossible. Lines freeze when temperatures drop below the freezing point and the fish are tough to catch when water temperatures get too low. So, the thy only operate until the end of November (usually for the last runs of fall salmon) and then start again in the early spring (for steelhead, Chinook salmon and trout).

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,977 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ice fishing in Whislter

Ice fishing is a popular activity in the interior of the province in the Cariboo around places like Bridge Lake or Loon Lake. Does it have to be Whistler?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ice fishing in Whislter

Thanks for your help everyone. We had been looking at the options in Banff for while we are there but we only have limited time and they are fully days tours. Hoping to find one in Whistler where we have a few extra days up our sleeves.

Might look into Snowmobiling instead - anyone recommend a good company?

Thanks again.

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ice fishing in Whislter

Canadian Snowmobiles, Outdoor Adventures at Whistler and Blackcomb Snowmbiles. Only 3 in Whistler I believe. I usually go with Canadian Snowmoblies or Outdoor Adventures but all three are very good.

I do prefer the Mountain Safari one with Canadian Snowmobile. You go further up Blackcomb with a stop at Crystal Hut. This is their twilight tour and goes up around 4:30pm when it starts to get dark. Or for a dinner option, they have a tour to Crystal Hut with fondue dinner. The dinner is nothing to brag about but it's more the experienced. My other fav is their Callaghan Valley Tour, true backcountry with open terrain and beautiful views.

For a beginners tour, I like the Cruiser tour with Outdoor Adventures. They go through a more heavily wooded area on Cougar Mountain, some have single tracks, which means you don't even have to steer, just let your machine slide through the tracks.

With every backcountry activity, there is an assumed amount of risk, so if you're a beginner you may feel more comfortable with an easier tour.

I tried the ice fishing in Banff a few years back, with Banff Fishing Unlimited, it was about 7-8 hours.... with about 4 hours on Spray Lake.... way too long for me... and way too cold! The "hut" is more like a small trailer sitting but at least it had heat. The fish was served on a bun, it was okay but not great. I'm not really into fishing, but the scenery was beyond imagination! If that's your thing and you can spend the day it would be a treat.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ice fishing in Whislter

Thanks heaps BumblebeeVancouver!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ice fishing in Whislter

Thanks BumblebeeVancouver!

9. Re: Ice fishing in Whislter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2010, 05:19