We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is the center village "already noisy" from 11/28 to 12/07?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
is the center village "already noisy" from 11/28 to 12/07?

Hi everyone,

We intend to stay in whistler village from 11/28 to 12/07. It will be 9 nights as we want to practice a lot (we are pure beginners!). We just don't know if we should stay in whistler village or upper village.

I read some reviews and I am concerned about if it's always a better option to stay in upper village, regardless of the month we go there.

I really appreciate your help if possible.

Thank you so much,

Best.

Sara & Tiago

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,606 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is the center village "already noisy" from 11/28 to 12/07?

Welcome to TripAdvisor and the Whistler Forum!

Noise is a very subjective topic, so I'm going to give you a very subjective answer. Whistler is not just a ski resort or a mountain bike destination. It's a lifestyle. There is a pretty lively bar and club scene that is active all year round. Some people love that.

I would try to avoid staying in the heart of it myself. I love the scene but I don't want to sleep int it. Check these maps of the village area. half dozen properties off the Whistler lifts and main streets leading to them would generally be the noisiest.

whistlerblackcomb.com/accommodations/map/whi…

http://secure.whistler.com/map/

It's quieter at night as you move away from that area. If you want to be ski-in ski-out as close to a lift as possible, I do like the Upper Village. Everything is close to everything else and only a few moments away by free shuttle.

Happy planning.

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is the center village "already noisy" from 11/28 to 12/07?

I don't find it noisy in the village unless the accomodations are over a bar/night club. Of course you get the odd person who's a bit drunk and disorderly that you can hear from down the street but it's relatively quiet. Avoid staying in the village square area (the corner where the liquor store, Citta's and Araxi's is as this is where the crowds move to - people flowing from Tommy Africa's, Savage Beagle, Buffalo Bills). Everyone has a different preference as to where to stay. I usually prefer upper village or village north. If you do go with upper village, perhaps look into a ski in/out property.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154948-c105075/Whist…

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is the center village "already noisy" from 11/28 to 12/07?

Hi,

Thank you for your responses!

Probably I will spend a bit more and try to get away from a cheap solution right inside the center village.

I just don't know how to see if the hotels/apartments are ski in/ski out....to be honest, I imagine but I really don't know how that "thing" works.

The fact that we are beginners will probably drive us to Whistler slopes rather Blackcomb (correct me if I am wrong) but I believe that if we stay in Upper Village we will get to Whistler Gondola pretty fast.

Well I hope you can help us once again. You guys have been awesome with your advices!

Best

Sara & Tiago

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,606 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is the center village "already noisy" from 11/28 to 12/07?

http://secure.whistler.com/map/

If you look at all the properties along Blackcomb Way from the Chamois to the Four Seasons those would qualify. The Four Seasons is not technically ski-in, ski out, but it has a ski concierge at the lifts and it's a 1 minute walk.

All the properties along the Wizard would qualify as well.

Quieter options in the Village. the Westin, the Hilton, the Pan Pacific Village Centre, The Holiday Inn, the Delta. Also, if you wish to look at Condos

http://www.alluradirect.com/whistler/

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…whistler

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is the center village "already noisy" from 11/28 to 12/07?

If you're staying in the center village, concentrate on hotels. Some of the "apartments/condos" unless recently rentovated are older than the newer builds in Village North. Not that there's anything wrong with them! It's really a matter of prefence. Love2travelnow listed some good hotel options for hotels in the village centre. All of these have kitchen facilities so perfect for your longer stay.

Regardless of where you choose, Whistler is all within walking distance of each other. You can walk from the base of the upper village to village centre in about 5-8 minutes and viillage north in about 10-12 minutes... (add another 3-5 minutes if staying slopeside). In the day, there's public transit (free of charge) that can take you to the lifts. Both mountains have green runs, so either would be suitable but I'm not an avid skier so can't lend any insight to which mountain is better for skiing.

Re-post once you short list which hotel and/or condo and we can perhaps help you narrow it down.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: is the center village "already noisy" from 11/28 to 12/07?

In my experience, it depends on where your room is in the hotel. I've stayed in hotels/condos that are right in the village but where my room didn't overlook the main pedestrian walkway and had no noise at all. I've also stayed in rooms overlooking the main walkway that had noise into the wee hours from people leaving the bars and clubs who were talking loudly or yelling, then the noise would start again in the very early morning with people in ski boots clomping by our window.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,665 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is the center village "already noisy" from 11/28 to 12/07?

Ok, I haven't been downhill at Whistler for some time, but as I recall, Blackcomb is a bit better for total beginners. Just get onto Green Line and you will spend ALL day doing one or two runs. I think that run is about 15 km. Beginner skiing is tough, because you tend to work hard stopping all the time because you are afraid to go too fast. That is exhausting, especially on a big hill like Whistler or Blackcomb. As you gain confidence, it gets easier because you allow yourself to ski freely without "putting on the brakes" all the time.

You probably have everything booked, but I would have advised you to find your legs on one of the local hills in Vancouver for a couple of days first. They are shorter runs, which allows you to take more breaks on the chair lift between runs.

You'll be fine at Whistler. Just don't be too ambitious and recognize that your legs are going to be very tired for the first few days.

Perth and Kinross...
Level Contributor
691 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is the center village "already noisy" from 11/28 to 12/07?

Totally agree with luv2travelnow. The hotels along those routes would be your best bet. Pan Pacific Village is where we always stay and the only noise issue there is that one side overlooks the fire station and you do get the odd call out during the night - not enough to put us off staying there though. We've never had any experience of Whistler being unacceptably noisy other than that though.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is the center village "already noisy" from 11/28 to 12/07?

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for ALL the replies and advices! That's the TA spirit...

We can't wait to go there!!!

Cheers,

Sara & Tiago

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is the center village "already noisy" from 11/28 to 12/07?

We stayed at the Hilton in early September and found the room to be really comfortable, good size, lots of storage with nice small kitchen and great bed! Hadn't been there since it was a Delta in the 90's..it was very quiet and short walk to the center village.