We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Buy equipment (VCV/Whistler)? Or rent it instead?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Where to Buy equipment (VCV/Whistler)? Or rent it instead?

Hi again,

What is your opinion regarding where to buy the equipment for skiing? Vancouver where we are now or only at Whistler when we arrive there?

I don't know if are there major differences in terms of average price.

We will ski for 8 days so we were thinking about buying beginners' gear instead of renting it for such a long period? What is your best advice?

Thank you so much once again. We hope you can help us decide these 2 "critical" questions.

Best,

Sara & Tiago

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Buy equipment (VCV/Whistler)? Or rent it instead?

I wouldn't call 8 days a long period... I skied at Whistler last season for 14 days, and even I hired equipment, my logic being:

1) I'm only using it once a year, so buying is a waste.

2) I didn't want to lug it all the way home to Europe.

3) I didn't know if my wife would like skiing (it was her first time).

4) If buying, you should try various equipment before you commit* (ideally anyway) because it behaves differently on the slopes to how it does in the shop.

If you are a beginner, and you don't know if the sport is for you, I'd say that renting is the only sane thing to do on your first try. There are many good rental shops in Whistler itself... I booked it ahead of time on the Whistler Blackcomb website and got a discount for renting equipment and buying lift passes as a package. It was all there when I arrived.

* (With regards to number 4, some of the shops in Whistler will let you try equipment on the slopes before you buy them... they have tents at Whistler base and up at Roundhouse Lodge so you can try there and then... even more of a reason to not buy in Vancouver!)

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Buy equipment (VCV/Whistler)? Or rent it instead?

If you're a beginner, it may be unlikely that you'll ski for 8 days straight. I think I was about to die by ay 2! And if do go for 8 days... an 8 day rental is approx. $200.00 (before insurance waiver) and High Pro is approx. $270.00. This includes boots, poles and skis. To buy a cheap set of skis are around $130-$150 to start and $130-$140 for boots before taxes. So you're not saving any money and further, you'll spend extra time having to purchase and transport around. Better to rent in Whistler. Plus if you decide you don't like sking, you can always trade your ski's in for a snowboard!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Buy equipment (VCV/Whistler)? Or rent it instead?

Thanks for your help. That's precisely what we will do. We will rent in advance through the official website.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Buy equipment (VCV/Whistler)? Or rent it instead?

I think it's the right choice... The kit we got through the official resort website was all modern, top make stuff.... that seasons Salomon X Wing skis, modern Salomon boots, Scott poles.... you just couldn't buy that level of equipment in one go. (Unless you're very rich anyway). And you can pick it up from any one of about 5 shops in the village, so you won't have to walk far. I used the hire shop attached to the Westin hotel, it was very well stocked and the young staff were patient and helpful with fitting.

Perth and Kinross...
Level Contributor
688 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Buy equipment (VCV/Whistler)? Or rent it instead?

We started off renting this first time we went which allows you to see if you're going to like it. Booking through the Whitler Blackcomb website was very straight forward. No matter what level you are, i would also recommend lessons - the Ski School Instructors are excellent. But if you keep up the skiing it makes more sense to buy at some point as the cost of continually renting starts to quickly outweigh the costs of buying. We went to the Can Ski demo tent at the top of the Whistler Gondola and tried out different skis free of charge before deciding what we wanted. They can instantly call down to the shop in the village to order your new gear and you can pop in after you return to the village. couldn't have been easier. You can buy ex-rental skis but they will have clocked up a few miles and might have a few scatches on them.

6. Re: Where to Buy equipment (VCV/Whistler)? Or rent it instead?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2010, 06:17