We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Around Whistler (gondolas...)

Tacoma, WA
4 posts
Save Topic
Getting Around Whistler (gondolas...)

Getting ready for my first trip to Whistler and trying to get an idea of how to get around. It seems the gondolas allow for non-skiing access to parts of the mountains (for peak 2 peak, tube park, etc.) My question is how these gondolas operate? Do I buy one ticket that allows use of all of them? (excalibur, whistler village, others?)

If someone could just lay out the general idea of how to get around, I would appriciate the clarification. Thanks...

Matt

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,310 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting Around Whistler (gondolas...)

Congratulations!

If you are non skier, they have a sight seeing type of pass that you purchase at the ticket kosk at the base of either mountain. They attach the tag to your jacket and of you go onto the lifts! The prices are as listed on the link below.

I know it says summer, but have spoken to WB and they are the same for the winter season. Note that a 2 day pass is only $10.00 more than a one day pass.

whistlerblackcomb.com/tickets/…index.htm

This will allow you acess to all the lifts and the Peak to Peak Gondola.

The views are incredible. There is are good hearty ski lodge type meals available at the Rendezvous(Blackcomb) and Roundhouse(Whistler). But for an unforgettable romantic experience have lunch at Christines. Make a reservation to get a window table.

…whistlerblackcomb.com/0/1/Default.aspx…

Happy plannning.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,310 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting Around Whistler (gondolas...)

Mmm ....timed out on the edit. Try to pick a day when the mountain top is not obscured by cloud. Don't forget your camera and dress warmly in layers.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting Around Whistler (gondolas...)

Do you know if you can you use the pass multiple times? Or just one trip up and down?

4. Re: Getting Around Whistler (gondolas...)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 November 2009, 21:51
Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting Around Whistler (gondolas...)

Hi there,

The sightseeing pass is a one time use deal. You can upload to the top, ride the Peak to Peak gondola and back, stay for lunch (either in the Roundhouse Lodge on Whistler or Rendezvous on Blackcomb), take some pictures, do a bit of shopping at the gift store and download back to the village via the Whistler Gondola. Once at the base, the tickets are no longer valid. They do this to prevent people from giving to others to use.

I would only suggest taking the Whistler Gondola and not the lifts (from Blackcomb) down back to the base unless you’re in ski suits and boots. The ride is about 30 minutes and you have to get off at mid station with a short walk onto another chair. The enclosed gondola on Whistler Mountain (though not heated) would be more comfortable.

I have in the past asked the lift ops (upon my first upload) to see if they’ll let me up again once I download (for work purposes, I often have to ride the gondola to bring gear up and down the mountain) and they usually sign the back of my ticket so that I can upload numerously, but it’s not a given.

Regarding the Tube Park – this is an entirely different pass and is sold hourly. Don’t think of this as a lift pass but a pass to use the Tube Park. Only valid on the Excalibur gondola, which you’ll ride to mid station, followed by a short walk to the tube park.

If you want to see the rest of the mountain but don't ski/board, you can try Sno Limo - they operate from the top of the mountains... you sit in a sled and are "driven" by a guide. They can go down green and blue runs so it's a neat way to see some of the trails.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting Around Whistler (gondolas...)

That's what I thought. I didn't want the op to think they can use the gondola system to travel from different village areas to other village areas. Eg Blackcomb Village to Creekside.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting Around Whistler (gondolas...)

You can park at p7-p8 so and walk to the tube park so no need for a pass. As far as sightseeing, ask someone if the peak is clear...sometimes the valley is cloudy, peak will be clear. The pass you want is a "sightseer pass". Ensure you load on lifts that have "100% Download Capacity". All gondolas will. If in doubt ask.

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting Around Whistler (gondolas...)

Hi Puff Puff, I asked my contact at Whistler Blackcomb to re-confirm - the pass for the Tube Park is basically so that one can ride the tube park. Using the gondola is just a means to get there, in case you don't have a car or want to drive to base 2, so one does need to buy a ticket specific to the Tube Park.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting Around Whistler (gondolas...)

bee: yes i know you need a ticket for the tube park...my point is you don't need a lift ticket to get there...

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting Around Whistler (gondolas...)

ah... sorry, I see your point! Sometimes it's hard to desipher things on forums... Anyhow, seems we're both on the same page, just a matter of verbage. cheers

Edited: 04 December 2009, 18:59