We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snowmobile Activity Suggestions

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Snowmobile Activity Suggestions

Three adults would like to do a snowmobile adventure on an off day. We are thinking in the range of a couple hours / $125 range. We will have a car so we can travel a bit if it will get us a better ride.

Our priorities are scenery, adventure and of course value. We would rather have something without food or drink included. Our date will be either 1/9 or 7.

- Thoughts on night versus day trips would be of interest.

- Please let us know your favorites and why.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,702 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snowmobile Activity Suggestions

Here's the frequent reccomendation.

www.canadiansnowmobile.com/winter/winter.html

I like the night trip up for fondue but it's exactly contrary to what you're looking for, LOL.

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snowmobile Activity Suggestions

Canadian Snowmobiles has a great 3 hour callaghan valley trip, more expensive than your budget though. Great views and open playgrounds to test out the strenght of the machine. Smaller number of participants.

if budget allows go as single riders. this is more moderate, not for beginners. 3 hour tour = 2 hour on the machine. 2 hour tour = 1 hour on the machine etc. etc.

I think there's a 3 hour mountain safari on blackcomb, good elevation gains, trail riding, nice views, but i sitll prefer the callaghan valley for true backcountry experience.

the 2 hour tours are beginners, good introduction but not enough time on machine.

all tours come with either meal, or at least a snack and hot chocolate.

other company: Outdoor Adventure Centre

I think they operate on Cougar Mountain... if you take a 2 hour tour (beginners) the one with Outdoor Adventures on Cougar is my prefered, they stop at an open area on Cougar with has a great view of the valley below. plus their trail riding is through old growth forest trees.

all backcountry motorized sports has a level of risk, if you're not comfortable go with a beginners tour. At the end of day, both companies have great history in Whistler, professional and knowledgeable, great guides for both.

regarding night vs. day - day you actually get to enjoy the view. night is more dangerous, as you can't see the trail in front of you, and when coming down a mountain, you can easily miss the switchback and throw yourself and machine over the side of the mountain (yes I've done this). You can see if there is a later tour - around 3 pm that gives you a bit of day light and finishes as it get's dark.

Outdoor Adventure has one tour which stops by a frozen lake and you get some time to drive around it, another good one to test the speed.

Not always the same trail, so you may end up on another trail depending on your guide and what he thinks everyone's ability is like. I once went out with Outdoor on a beginners tour and ended up more with a moderate tour.

and finally 3 hour tours -= 2 hour on the machine is pretty exhausting! if you're a single rider, you have to have pretty good upper body strength, so 2 hours maneouvering can get tiring.

sorry, short on time today, so please excuse typos and brevity

Perth and Kinross...
Level Contributor
691 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snowmobile Activity Suggestions

As for snow mobile tours, we went on one our hotel (Pan Pacific) booked for us. Can't remember the actual name of the tour company but they had an office in the Hilton Resort and they took us by bus to Brandy Wine Falls - it was awesome. I'm sure the Hilton could provide details if required.

We went on the late afternoon trip which included visiting some amazing spots as we climbed up the mountain including tearing round a frozen lake using the headlights in the dark. No food invloved in our tour, just great experience with a good group of people. Could have done an earlier tour if total daylight was preferred.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snowmobile Activity Suggestions

Thank you very much for your input. We have decided to go with

Outdoor Adventures - The Cruiser (2 hours)

Leaving Dallas, TX in the morning and snowmobiling on Sat...

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snowmobile Activity Suggestions

They're a good company.. you'll have lots of fun. You'll end up smelling like fuel after, so don't wear your favorite ski suit. They have waterproof shells if you need a jacket or pants, to wear over something you have. Bring your own snow goggles if you have them and gloves. They have them if you need it but you'll be more comfortable in your own.

6. Re: Snowmobile Activity Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2010, 05:17