We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whistler questions

darnestown md
Level Contributor
197 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
whistler questions

Hi, we will be spending 2 weeks in Canada. Starting in Banff, then Jasper. Then onto Whistler-we would break this up into two days and probably overnight in Kamloops. I will be traveling with husband and two teenage boys. Just had a few quick questions:

1. I have read some posts that Whistler is anticlimatic after seeing the Rockies. Just wondering if it is worthwhile. I thought it would be fun to show the kids where the Olympics were held and heard the zipline was great at Whistler.

2. I was wondering what the roads were like from Jasper to Whistler in August. I know road conditions will probably be fine but was wondering if roads are very windy, hairpin turns, hard to drive, etc. Also would appreciate any route suggestions for driving from Jasper to Whistler.

3. Would like to stay near Village but not near rowdy, noisy part. Does anyone know if the Fairmont is quiet? I think it is right in Whistler village.

4. Finally, we will be going from Whistler to Vancover. Should we stop at Grouse Mountain and Capaliano bridge(probably spelled that wrong) on the way to Vancouver?

thanks again to everyone who posts on this site. I have gotten lots of useful information and greatly appreciate everyone's help!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,073 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whistler questions

Whistler post-Rockies is a tough call. You'll get lots of advice both ways here, so you'll have to go with your gut on that one. Whistler is different to the Rockies resorts, and I like it. A few things that might help you decide:

Whistler is less than two hours from downtown Vancouver (yes, leaving from Robson and Burrard, you'll be in the village in two hours - unless you are trying to get over the Lion's Gate Bridge in rush hour) and an easy day trip. It's pleasant to walk around and very compact. If you just want to see the place, then you probably only need a couple of hours. Driving up at 10 am and coming back after dinner will afford lots of time for going up the mountains, doing the zip-line and some shopping.

Keep in mind that Whistler Olympic Park is off the highway before you get to Whistler up the Callahagn Valley and not in Whistler. The sliding track is right beside the zip-line, and the downhill is over at Creekside. All the other venues are in Vancouver anyway. And I think the speed skating oval is closed as of Monday and is now being turned into badminton courts. :(

Grouse Mountain is 20 minutes from downtown and accessible on the public transit network. Easy to get to from your Vancouver accommodations at any point.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,767 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whistler questions

Whistler can be interesting.. especially for teens.. there is the zip line, the peak to peak gondola. mountain biking, rafting.. to name a few of the activites.

If you want to include Whistler and are coming from Jasper I'd skip Kamloops and drive the Duffy Lake Road. This is hwy 99. There are a few posts recently about this route..

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154943-i81-k35184…

You would cut off at Little Fort to hwy 24, across to 93 Mile House and then down through Cache Creek, Clinton, Lillooet and from Lillooet over to Whistler.

The hwy from Jasper down to Little Fort is excellent. The Duffy Lake Road is two lane and narrow and winding in some spots. If you choose not to take this road then you'd come down the Fraser Canyon ( hwy 1) which is also winding and narrow in some spots.. but more of a major hwy than the Duffy lake Road. The advantage to taking hwy 99 to Whistler is you save a ton of time as you don't drive all the way down to vancouver and then back up to Whistler.

Check the gov web site. www.drivebc.com it has web cams and if you go to related links and click then you can get to distance caculator which is very helpful. Also a map showing routes with numbers.

th.gov.bc.ca/popular-topics/maps/2105-06.jpg

Suggest you might stop at Clinton for a nice overnight although you could drive from Jasper to Whistler in one go if pressed for time ( 8 hr+ drive)

By stopping in Clinton you could allow time to visit Helmcken Falls in Wells Grey Park.. just by Clearwater.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,330 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: whistler questions

Sound like a fabulous trip!

If your departure city is Vancouver, by all means add some time in Whistler. I am in the Whistler is anti-climatic after the Rockies camp, myself, even though I adore Whistler. Pesonally, I would keep my itinerary Rockies-heavy. You'll want to look into making lodging arangements in Banff and especially Jasper early on. Space is limited. You can leave booking Whistler till the summer.

I agree with traveller47 that is a great town for activities. If you partake in them, you'll love it. The Zipline, mountain biking or a round of golf, all wonderful. If you do a two hour walk about of town, you'll wonder what the fuss is about. The Fairmont is quiet. It's not right in the party part of the village it's in the Upper Village, which roughly speaking is more upscale and residential. It's only a short walk of free shuttle to the village.

Personally, unless you have some special specific interest in the Capilano Bridge I would skip it and the considerable expense. If you feel a suspension bridge is something you really want to do, look into the free one at Lynn Canyon. While Grouse Mountain is a very interesting place

(ziplining there as well) by the time you get there you will have seen an incredible number of interesting mountains by then already. I would take the time to enjoy Vancouver's urban delights. Let us know how it's going as you plan.

Whistler
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: whistler questions

Whistler is awesome! Definitely come!

The road through Lilloet is not that fun. It's windy and annoying, but it's slightly faster than driving through Vancouver.

You MUST hit Whistler.

The fairmont is quiet. It's in the upper village, not the village.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,767 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: whistler questions

Have to disagree with previous post.. the road through Lillooet to Whistler is very scenic, yes it's winding...but the vistas are great and there are lots of small spots to stop. The idea is to enjoy the journey as well as the destination. ;)

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,021 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: whistler questions

I have driven the road through Lillooet to Whistler numerous times in both summer and winter. I take this route when I am heading back from the Cariboo.

I agree with Traveller47. This is a beautiful scenic drive and well worth the trip. The winter scenes are better than summer in my opinion but the driving can be a bit scary when the logging trucks are coming around some of the curves and the road is narrowed due to the snowpack.

The road in August will be fine – no adverse conditions. As previously suggested just take your time, stop at the magnificent view points to snap your pictures, maybe a picnic lunch and enjoy the views.

The Sea-to Sky hwy from Whistler to Vancouver is also a spectacular drive.

Here is a slideshow of Whistler in the summer and a few winter/Olympic shots:

www.pbase.com/martinbunting/image/65078834

Here is a slideshow of the Sea to Sky/Hwy 99 route in summer.

www.pbase.com/martinbunting/image/39624653

Trip advisor reviews and pics of the Sea to sky

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g154943-d1…

tripadvisor.com/…23692742

7. Re: whistler questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2010, 05:16