We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions / stops for BC part of Rockies roadtrip

Which Whistler hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belgium
Level Contributor
36 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions / stops for BC part of Rockies roadtrip

Hi there. We're about to leave for BC early next week; myself, my wife and our 12 and 14 year old boys.

After a week on Vancouver Island we'll head to Whistler (3 nights), Clearwater (2 nights - Helmcken Falls Lodge), Jaspar (3 nights - Takarra Lodge), Lake Louise (3 nights - Deer Lodge) and then Banff two nights and home via Calgary.

Advice and tips welcome in particular on

1) places to stop / activities for the days with the long drives between Whistler and Clearwater and from Clearwater to Jaspar. Aim to have one or more stops to break the journey, for example, short hikes, 2 or 3 hours for rafting, etc Stops later on between Jaspar - LL and Banff seem pretty clear.

2) Anyone know of any organised stargazing the parks. We'll be around Whistler for annual meteor shower on 12th August? Did this once in Yosemite and it was great.

3) Suggestions welcome more generally for day trip canoeing - beginners or rafting also.

4) Finally, keen landscape photographer - suggestions for must take pictures.

Thx

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions / stops for BC part of Rockies roadtrip

The Perseids will be quite visible (weather permitting) without the help of any organized stargazing tour - they should be their most prolific around the time of your visit and generally reach their peak in the early pre-dawn hours nightly. Just get away from the lights of civilization, find a comfy spot to sit and look up. haha

Along the Duffey Lake Road (hwy 99) from Whistler to Cache Creek there are several provincial parks where you could stop to take a short walk, take some photos and/or have a picnic lunch. This road is really beautiful in the summertime, you won't run out of scenery or photo opportunities. The last time I travelled that road we saw several moose and a wolf. There are also several nice picnic rest areas north of Kamloops on the way to Clearwater.

The drive from Clearwater to Jasper is not nearly as long. You will want to stop at Mount Robson park and see the highest peak in the Cdn Rockies and there is a nice hike that you can do from there.

I believe you can rent canoes at Moraine Lake.

I hope you have a wonderful vacation!

- CG

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions / stops for BC part of Rockies roadtrip

The pp has provided excellent suggestions.

A great map of stops in Wells Gray is available. …gov.bc.ca/bcparks/…wells_corridor.pdf Spahat Falls is not on the map - it is just before the actual gates of Wells Gray. It is about 10 minutes north of Clearwater.

From Clearwater to Jasper some interesting stops include Rearguard Falls (just before Mt. Robson) & Overlander Falls (in Mt Robson Provincial Park). When we did the drive we stopped at Mt Robson Prov Park. In Mt Robson there are nice short walks/hikes available: Fraser River Nature Walk and the Lookout Trail.

The drive between Jasper and Lake Louise is along the well travelled and very beautiful Icefields Parkway and is one of the most spectacular drives in Canada. There are numerous points of interest along the route. Here is a map to get you started: theskistop.com/biketours/pdf/Banff-to-Jasper…

3) I'm not familiar with the rafting trips that are based in Jasper. But had a wonderful experience with rafting the Kicking Horse with Alpine Rafting. The raft trips are based in Golden - 1 hour from Lake Louise. They (and other rafting companies) have a variety of trips available so you can choose as much or little white water as you are comfortable with. Though no experience is required for the trips. I would suggest you not shy away from the whitewater.

There is spectacular canoeing available in Wells Gray. Helmcken Falls Lodge would be a good resource. There is also a combination boat tour and canoe trip available to Rainbow Falls offered by Clearwater Lake Tours. www.clearwaterlaketours.com/services.htm

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,284 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions / stops for BC part of Rockies roadtrip

Welcome to the Whistler Forum

You might look into paddling the River of Golden Dreams. It lives up to it's name.

http://www.backroadswhistler.com/

Here are some rafting possibilites.

http://www.whistlerriver.com/

http://www.wedgerafting.com

http://www.whistlerecotours.com

I would also look into Micheal Allen Bear Tours in Whistler for photography. Your camera is going to be very busy...

For organized star gazing check with the Chateau Lake Louise in Lake Louise. They had an on staff naturalist who does a number of tours and he's quite expert.

Sounds like a magnificient trip!

Belgium
Level Contributor
36 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions / stops for BC part of Rockies roadtrip

Thanks to all for these great trips.

5. Re: Suggestions / stops for BC part of Rockies roadtrip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2011, 06:16