We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whistler for christmas

Cardiff, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Whistler for christmas

Im trying to find out where the best place to go for christmas is in north America/Canada.

I am getting married in late October 2011 and want to have a Christmas honeymoon. As its Christmas time, we want somewhere snowy and with lots of memorable things to do.

Also we want a really nice hotel as its our honeymoon, we want to be spoilt.

Can anyone help me arrange the perfect christmas honeymoon?

Thanks

loulou

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,596 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whistler for christmas

Welcome to TripAdvisor and congratulations!

I think that Whistler is a great place for a honeymoon, particularly if you ski and even if you don''t. Here's a link to a recent thread on the topic of romance. You might also find that adding a couple of days in Vancouver as well enjoyable. My choices in Whistler for romance would be the Fairmont Chateau Whistler, the Four Seasons and Nita Lake Lodge, but I'm sure opinion will vary. Also, here's an example of what happening at the Fairmont for Christmas this year. It might be helpful for reference.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154948-i400-k40106…

fairmont.com/NR/rdonlyres/B4DDF9DA-5FB0-48D0…

If you're looking for feedback on other areas in Canada you might post in the Canada forum or in some provincial ones like Alberta and Quebec. For a deluxe winter honeymoon, FWIW I personally love all the Fairmont Rocky Mountain properties, namely Banff Springs, Chateau Lake Louise and Jasper Park Lodge. Anyone of those or a combination would be stunning. You might also look at Quebec city.

http://www.fairmont.com/banffsprings

http://www.fairmont.com/lakelouise

http://www.fairmont.com/jasper

Hope this helps

Edited: 10 November 2010, 20:36
Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whistler for christmas

I'll second luv2travelnow suggestions, those are the places that jump out to me when I would think of a Christmas honeymoon in Canada. I will add a romantic Fairmont to the list for Quebec as well the Chateau Frontenac http://www.fairmont.com/frontenac

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,596 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whistler for christmas

Loulou, I know it sound like we're shills for Fairmont, but we're not. Because of history they happen to have in their inventory a number of very magical heritage properties.

Cardiff, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Whistler for christmas

Wow the Fairmont hotel looks out of this world. Thanks for advice.

Cardiff, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Whistler for christmas

Ps, can you recommend anywhere for booking Christmas day lunch? or is it better to stay in hotel anf have it there if available? Thanks Loulou

Perth and Kinross...
Level Contributor
691 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whistler for christmas

Another Fairmont fan here too.

We've stayed in Royal York Toronto, Chateau Laurier Ottawa, Empress Victoria and both the downtown and waterfront in Vancouver.

Although we've been in Whistler the past 4 years in a row, we haven't stayed in the Chateau Whistler but as we love their breakfasts, we venture up there from the Pan Pacific for a change of scene during our 2 weeks there. Its a lovely looking hotel, right at the base of the slopes too.

Cardiff, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Whistler for christmas

Thanks for advice, It all sounds really good, looking foward to booking it all up now. Listening to peoples suggestions, i think we will look at possibly having christmas day in Whistler and heading back to Vancouver for 2 or 3 nights for New Years Eve. Want to make it a holiday to remember as its our honeymoon. Being teachers, we can go over 2 weeks so can spread the holiday out a bit. :-)

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,596 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whistler for christmas

Nice to see you round Brian. Have you been to their Scottish property in St. Andrews?

loulou, if you are considering them (I'm looking at their Kenya properties for a trip I'm planning) join their loyalty program, the Presidents Club and you're eligible for special rates and upgrades. It can be wicked expensive at Christmas. Even just a few days in advance holiday prices are better.

Christmas lunch would be very nice at all those places and reservations should be made in advance. The hotels are likely best for a traditional dinner. For something scenic and spectacular, look into Christines on Blackcomb Mountain or Steeps on Whistler Mountain. Take the lifts and the Peak to Peak across. The setting is a memory maker.

whistlerblackcomb.com/todo/…index.htm

A couple of spots on my own potential wishlist are the Post Hotel in Lake Louise and the Wikanish in on Vancouver Island. The Post may be a little isolated from other activites since there's not much of a town there and I'm not sure the Wick would fulfill your winter fantasy.

http://www.posthotel.com/posthotel/index.html

http://www.wickinn.com/

Perth and Kinross...
Level Contributor
691 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whistler for christmas

Hi luv2

We haven't actually stayed at the Fairmont in St Andrews, mainly because we live within an hour of the place and it tends to be day trips to visit the beach or to go to the golf there, rather than a stay over.

Its a great location though, so if anyone needs any info on the area i'd be delighted to help.

We're back in Whistler in Feb / March and can see there's been some decent snow already looking at the webcams, so can't wait.

Keep up the great work.

Best Wishes,

Brian.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
108 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whistler for christmas

Hi

Hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread but we are a family of 5 heading off for a white Christmas from Australia to Whistler in 4 weeks! Can't wait.

Anyway Brian, or anyone, I haven't booked our Christmas lunch or dinner yet, still not sure what we will do but thinking the Fairmont. We are staying at the Nita Lake Lodge but I like the sounds of a sleigh ride with the kids then lunch, or do you all think dinner,,,,or do you have any other suggestions kids are 15, 13, 12 years, we'll also have a ski lift pass available to us during this time.

I promise to post how everything goes for us when we return, but any help or tips would be much appreciated.

Ciao