We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip Whistler to Jasper

Which Whistler hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
259 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip Whistler to Jasper

I am from Asustralia and planning a road trip to the usual tourist sites in July, 2011. I have some road maps but cannot decide the best or route from Whistler to Jasper. We are planning to do this over 2 days as the right hand side driving will be a challenge for us. Where is best to stop over? I would appreciate any advice or suggestions from those who have done this trip before.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,960 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip Whistler to Jasper

Hi Robyn and welcome to the forum.

I think many posters here will see you are going to the Rockies and will tell you to skip Whistler as you will be underwhelmed. The Rockies will make Whistler seem like a little sister.

There is this article on the BC Forum Top Questions about getting to the Rockies. You might be interested to know about it.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154922-c120076/Briti…

Another bit of info is that Jasper and Banff are in Alberta. When you are ready post your questions about them on the Alberta Forum or the Canadian Rockies Forum.

If you go onto the British Columbia Forum, you can put your choice/variety/selection of phrases for "driving to the Rockies," to read many many helpful threads about this topic.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,486 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip Whistler to Jasper

From Whistler, you can return to Vancouver and then take the main highway 1 out to the Alberta border and then head north to Jasper, or head north up highway 5 from Kamloops through Barriere and Valemount to Jasper.

If you are not afraid of minor roads that are more winding and scenic, if a bit hilly and remote, then you can head north from Whistler and stay on the 99 through to Lillooet, then stay with the 99 to the junction with the 97 at Hat Creek, turn north through Clinton to the Lone Bute-Little Fort Road, where you join Highway 5 for the trip north to Jasper.

An overnight at Clearwater will permit a side trip into Wells Grey Provincial Park. You won't have a lot of time, but you'll be able to take an hour or two and drive up and see Helmecken Falls at least.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,100 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip Whistler to Jasper

G'day Novocastrian Robyn, And welcome to TA.

I am one who will say give Whistler the flick. It is a winter ski resort which I liken to a Threbo on steroids, and it does not hold a patch to the Rockies. It is very heavily promoted by the tour operators here, but should not be IMO.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
259 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip Whistler to Jasper

Thanks heaps...this is a great way to get information - from those of you who have travelled the roads and visited the places!! I have taken on board all the comments, they have been most helpful.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip Whistler to Jasper

The route suggested via Whistler and Lillooet is the route I would recommend. That route is one of my absolute favorite summer drives in British Columbia!

I would probably change the rest of the route slightly; at Cache Creek you can take the #1 highway to Kamloops and then take #5 north to Tete Jaune Cache and then the #16 to Jasper. This is a slightly less remote route than going via Clinton to Little Fort and the last time I took that piece of road I believe a good portion of it was still gravel.

Clearwater is a great choice for an overnight stop and do allow some time to explore Wells Grey Prov Park.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,573 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip Whistler to Jasper

Camping Girl not sure when you last drove to Clearwater from Liloouet via Clinton and Little Fort but it must have been long ago in another galaxy! or you were thinking of a different road... it is all paved (hwys 99,97,24,) and imo much better than cutting over to Kamloops and up. The above route akes you through rangeland and wonderful lake country ..and Clinton has a great ice cream stop plus a neat little museum. ... it's also an easier drive than through Kamloops as less traffic and a bit less winding. really depends if OP is going to Whistler.. if going to be there then I'd drive hwy99 to Lillout and then on to Clearwater. there are webcams on www.drivebc.com which will show you the various highways and what they look like.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,486 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip Whistler to Jasper

I can second that. We did the Lone Bute - Little Fort road about 7 years ago on a drive between Williams Lake and Kamloops and I thought it was a lovely road. Scenic and in good shape, no trucks that I recall. I seem to remember it gets a bit steep as you join the 5 at the eastern end, but it was a good road.

Because the 99 doesn't come out at Cache Creek, you have to either head south or north from Lillooet and then cut back to Cache Creek. This way avoids a bit of doubling back, although the road from Cache Creek to Kamloops is a faster highway.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Trip Whistler to Jasper

traveller47, I'm "pretty sure" I've never been outside of this galazy... it was definitely the road from Little Fort to 100 Mile... I'd say 7 or 8 years ago, maybe 9. We were on our way to visit my husband's family in Williams Lake and hubby decided to take a "different route". The reason I remember the gravel is because we got a HUGE stone chip in our windshield. Is it possible that part of the road was under construction when I was on it? (this would explain the gravel) I remember my husband commenting on how much wider the road was than the last time he had been on it.

9. Re: Road Trip Whistler to Jasper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2012, 07:17