We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski Whistler Early Jan12 Westin vs Pan Pacific Mountainside

Which Whistler hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Ski Whistler Early Jan12 Westin vs Pan Pacific Mountainside

First time family trip with an almost 4 and almost 8 who haven't skiied we prefer on the snow.... easy to dump our skis ... easy access to ski school...

Looking at these 2 hotels as they are right near the gondola but have read that they might be noisy due to snow ploughing and fire station.

Any views?

Would a 1 bedroom be too cramped?

Thanks...

Whistler
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski Whistler Early Jan12 Westin vs Pan Pacific Mountainside

The Westin wont have any noise issues. The Pan pacific mountainside might be a bit noisy at night, but then again most hotels in the village are on the stroll and therefore you might end up with some loud drunks outside.

Complaining about a snowplough in a ski resort is not advised! We like it when they are busy :)

The fire station is near the pan pacific village (not mountainside), but I still doubt it would be an issue for anyone.

Both places offer the chance of a decent view - depends on unit obviously.

Both nice places imo.

You can get a much better idea of the layout of the village and the hotel locations etc by using my 3d map of whistler - based on Google Earth. check it out here

http://whistler3dsolutions.com/whistler/

use the 'search' feature to find the hotels of interest

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
109 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski Whistler Early Jan12 Westin vs Pan Pacific Mountainside

Both are close to the gondola- possibly the Pan Pacific is a few metres closer, but not by much. I've stayed at the Westin- it was really quite nice. A one bedroom with the pullout couch and kitchenette (or was it full kitchen, I can't remember) was big enough for 3 adults when I was there. No noise at all.

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ski Whistler Early Jan12 Westin vs Pan Pacific Mountainside

Regarding the 1 bedroom... the pull out couch is usually a double bed, so as long as your children don't mind sleeping in a double bed together. There's also the hassle of having to put the bed back in the day and pulling out at night. So as long as your agreeable doing this, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
685 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski Whistler Early Jan12 Westin vs Pan Pacific Mountainside

I would consider the Pan Pacific Village Centre.

Its an extra 5 minute walk from the gondolas but you get a locker at the Mountainside as part of the deal to save carrying your gear.

WhistlerSkiBum correctly points out that the PP Village Centre is near the fire station, but even if you have a room facing the Fire Station we hear it twice at the most in our 2 week stays. Also you could request a room on the other side of the hotel, albeit with lesser views of the mountains.

Also you get breakfast included - nothing fancy but quicker and easier especially with the kids.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
300 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ski Whistler Early Jan12 Westin vs Pan Pacific Mountainside

Our friends (family of 4) stayed at westin and were envious of our large 1 bedroom family suite at the crystal. Nicer pool at westin though.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
582 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ski Whistler Early Jan12 Westin vs Pan Pacific Mountainside

I love the westin too. A 1 bdrm should be good. We had only two of us, and felt like we had loads of room. The kitchen is small but nice to have for quick breakfast, snacks as food is pretty pricy.

Edited: 21 May 2011, 22:10
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ski Whistler Early Jan12 Westin vs Pan Pacific Mountainside

We've stayed at both, with 2 small children. Both are cramped. But at that time of the year, Pan Pac offers better value for money as far as we're concerned. We were happy to put up with the small size for the sake of convenience to the lifts and ski school. Now that we have child number 3 in tow, convenience is paramount, and although Pan PAC Village looks better again, we don't want to lug the kids for even 5 mins to the lifts/school! This year we got a great advance rate at Pan PAC in a 2 bedder, so we should have the best of all worlds! Have a great trip...

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,062 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ski Whistler Early Jan12 Westin vs Pan Pacific Mountainside

I've been woken up by snow plows many places around Whister--if you are facing the Village Stroll or a road, you will probably hear plows (and drunks). I think your best bet, no matter which property you choose, is to request a quiet room.

Whistler, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Ski Whistler Early Jan12 Westin vs Pan Pacific Mountainside

The Westin and Pan P Mountain Side have virtually the same location, so it doesn't really matter. The Westin will be a bit quieter and they have very quiet rooms facing the forest. If you want to get technical the Pan P is closer to the slopes, but the Westin closer to ski-school check in, but again, both are very close.

A bigger difference is square footage. Pan P bigger.

I would go for the one with the better price.

A 2 bedroom would of course be better, but more expensive! If the children are ok on a pullout then it'll be fine- you can retire to the bedroom once they are down as there is a TV in the bedroom, or many families put the kids down in the bedroom, then stay up reading/playing games/watching TV in the living room, them move the kids to the pullout when you want to go to bed-

As one posting says above you should also consider the Pan P Village Center- however, quite a bit further now for ski school check-in- 5 minute walk- you get a locker at the Pan P Mountain side, so don't have to carry your skis, but it is further for sure. Larger and newer rooms though and bfast is included and likely cheaper- Pan P Village about the same as Pan P Mountain side for noise- firestation across from Pan P Village, but rarely used, so not really a factor...

Have a great trip & tx for choosing Whistler!

10. Re: Ski Whistler Early Jan12 Westin vs Pan Pacific Mountainside

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 01:18