We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer Activities

Scotland
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Summer Activities

My Wife and I and Two Teenage Kids are spending a week in Whistler in July, 2006. We are keen to try a number of Activities including River Rafting, Kayaking, Jet Boating, ATV Excursion, Mountain Biking and Zip Trek. Can anyone recommend companies ? (There appears to a be numerous offering similar deals)

Mentioned in this post
Whistler Jet Boating
Whistler Jet Boating
31 Reviews
Whistler, Canada
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,244 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer Activities

Since you're from that land o' parsimonious people I'll give you a few tips designed to save you a bit o' coin(!)

Many of the tours you see advertised on the net can be had for much less when booked in person the same day-don't be reluctant to bargain-Whistler is never busy in summer.

Also many 'treks' as touted through the village/priced in $US are in fact strolls through the forest on hard packed trails as wide as a city sidewalk and considerably safer.

Look to the hike to Cheakamus Lake to start- a short drive out of town and a refreshing hike through some gorgeous scenery and a breathtaking finish.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,244 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer Activities

Also I should have pointed out that many of the operations offering activities are in fact just agents all 'piecing off' the same daily trips.

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer Activities

I would expect whistler to actully be quite busy in the summer. It is increasing in popularity with mountain bikers as you can go up the chairlifts on the mountain in the summer. I would not worry about planning activities before you get there whistler has an awesome tourist/adventure centre that will tell you everything you need to know.

Whistler
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer Activities

Agreed the activities can all be booked when you get here. And to clarify, Whistler actually receives more visitors per day in the summer than the winter these days. I have lived here 20 years and every year it gets busier but it there is still SO much to do in the summer it just doesnt seem busy as everyone is out doing something. Here are some activities and companies I recommend.

Cougar Mountain-tree line zip trek, ATV, tour of the GIANT ancient cedar trees, etc.

they have a great website and it is locally owned and operated.

Mountain biking-rent bikes anywhere and ride the 50+ kms of paved trail from one end of the valley to the other. Also downhill mountain biking on Whistler Mtn. Make sure you rent the right safety gear.

Hiking on Whistler Mountain and bear watching(if you r lucky)-take the gondola up and be sure to to the peak adventure. Wear good hiking shoes and bring a pack with layers of extra clothing in case the weather turns bad.

Swimming at Lost Lake -walking distance from the village.

Golfing -3 great courses to choose from...not cheap! but breathtakingly beautiful scenery.

Tennis at the Whistler Racquet Club.

Etc Etc...it goes on and on.

Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Lost Lake
Lost Lake
1,450 Reviews
Whistler, Canada
Whistler Racquet Club
Whistler Racquet Club
2 Reviews
Whistler, Canada
Scotland
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer Activities

Thankyou for all the information.

Just another couple of questions - My Son is keen to take beginners snowboarding lessons on the Glacier. Are lessons readily available ? Also being from the Home of Golf and an avid golfer, I am particulary interested in sampling the Golf Courses in the area. Any Recommendations ?

Whistler
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer Activities

no lessons available at that time of year. You might inquire with Whistler Blackcomb ski school but really the glacier snowboarding experience isnt worth it especially as a beginner. The snow is like corn...hard packed and icy

Book your golf days ahead of time. Nicklaus North, Whistler Golf Club (Arnold Palmer design), Chateau Whistler Golf Club (Robert Trent Jones Jr. Design)...

www.tourismwhistler.com

Mentioned in this post
Whistler Blackcomb
Whistler Blackcomb
3,587 Reviews
Whistler, Canada
Whistler Golf Club
Whistler Golf Club
124 Reviews
Whistler, Canada
Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Summer Activities

Algar

For golf I would recommend Nicklaus North #1

Chateau just behind in #2 position and there is an awesome course in Pemberton called Big Sky,very scenic.Also you can canoe or Kayak on the lakes around Whistler.Have a great trip

Mentioned in this post
Pemberton
Pemberton
British Columbia, Canada
Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Summer Activities

We have three teenage boys and spend alot of time in Whistler summer & winter. Can't think of a better spot for your family!

Glacier is open mid June through the end of July. Yes, conditions aren't perfect - but heck it's summer and they are kids! My boys love the thrill of skiing/riding in the middle of summer - just hanging out and watching riders in the half pipe makes their day. There are several companies offering camps - but most are 5 days+, which I don't think fits your vacation. I wouldn't rule it out just yet - check out the Whistler Blackcomb site for summer skiing/riding and instruction info - perhaps there will be a 1/2 day lesson that will work. Summer skiing is something you can only do a few places in the world - go for it.

www.whistlerblackcomb.com

Whistler has taken mountain biking to a new level - the trails and the gear - think mud, dirt, stunts and jumps - you can even rent a video camera helmet to record your descent. Not my cup of tea, but the gear alone (full "gladiator" armour) is heaven for my guys (husband included). Trails run the gamut from beginner to expert. You will be amazed at some of the "black diamond" trails. Lessons and tours are available - definitely consider.

Ziptrek is awesome! Expensive - but something my boys still talk about. I wouldn't miss it.

Also not to be missed are some of the festivals/concerts in the summer - I am sure more details will be posted throughout the spring.

CrankWorx - Whistler's Freeride Mountainbike Festival July 22 -30

Whistler Arts & Music Festival is July 21 to July 23

Mentioned in this post
Whistler Blackcomb
Whistler Blackcomb
3,587 Reviews
Whistler, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Summer Activities

I was at Whistler in July 05, and I didn't have a problem with activities being full. In fact, most things were unavailable because not enough people had signed up. My husband was there for the mountain biking, so I was looking to join something on my own, and nobody would take a single person. But they were offering better deals in person than online.

Also, kayaking the River of Golden Dreams was out because the river was only about a foot deep. Horseback riding at the top of the mountain was out because there was too much snow up there, so they hadn't moved the horses to the upper stables yet.

The village was quite busy, but most people were just hanging out, hiking on their own, or mountain biking.

Scotland
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Summer Activities

Thankyou so much for all your tips and information. We are really keen to try Ziptrek/Skyline but realise that they are run by two different companies, Can anyone tell me which is best ?