We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning our trip to Whistler

Which Whistler hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
330 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Planning our trip to Whistler

We are heading to Whistler for one week in February. We have a home in Creekside where we will be staying the whole week. We are flying in to Vancouver and planning on spending the night there before heading to Whistler. I am wondering if we really need to rent a vehicle at the airport to head to Whistler? We plan on skiing most of the time, both downhill and x-country but am not interested in having a vehicle sitting around all week if we won't need it. What are the possible options for transportation between Vancouver and Whistler and at Whistler while we are there? If we do need to rent a vehicle at the airport, is it important to rent a 4 wheel drive? Thanks for any help.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,389 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning our trip to Whistler

Yes it's easy to catch a bus to Whistler and a stress free way to travel/vacation-no real need for a vehicle while you're there as you can walk everywhere/take a cab if needed.

pacificcoach.com/Bus-Coach-Travel/YVR-Whistl…

http://www.snowbus.com/

Edited: 03 January 2012, 05:08
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,470 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning our trip to Whistler

However, staying at at "house in Creekside" suggests that you might want to have a car in order to get your groceries home, etc. Staying in Creekside is a bit less convenient than staying in the village, and I think you might find having the use of a car, even just to get to and from the village, may be useful, although as Sam has rightly said, there are very good alternatives, and its only a 10 minute trip.

There are car rentals available in Whistler, so if you get there and decide you do need one after all, you can always look into getting one while you are there.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
330 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning our trip to Whistler

Thank you, that helps me narrow my choices. I am with you SamSalmon on the stress-free factor. I really prefer not to add a car into the mix when there are alternatives available but I think my partner feels, as Vancouverite6 points out, that it will be more convenient while at Creekside. We are hoping to do some x-country, downhill and skating so looking for a variety of activities to fill our week.

Perhaps that means also the necessity of a car?

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,344 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning our trip to Whistler

Where exactly in Creekside are you? There is a small grocery there, so if you can walk to the business area, you should be fine (and you can take the bus to Whistler Village for bigger shopping trips). But if you're in one of the homes that's a bit further out, a car might be necessary. The IGA Grocery in Whistler Village does have free parking, which is nice.

For downhill skiing of course you don't need a car, and you can take the bus to the Village for ice skating (you'd have to park in a pay lot or a more remote lot then walk if you wanted free parking, so a car isn't of much use for skating). But if you want to X Country ski in Callaghan Valley, I'm not sure if there is transit offered. Check the Whistler website for access to that.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,470 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning our trip to Whistler

I've heard a shuttle to the Callahagn mentioned in other threads, so I'm pretty sure there is a service. Ok, just checked and OP is in Quebec, so has a clear understanding of "carrying bag of groceries on icy road in the dark".

carsey2411
Level Contributor
32 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning our trip to Whistler

We always use ridebooker.com/book/…whistler-shuttle- realluy good, no waiting around and reasonable

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
330 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning our trip to Whistler

Thanks everyone. It looks like it is cheaper to rent a car.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning our trip to Whistler

grab the bus at the Airport, or the Bus Terminal here in Vancouver or the SnowBus. Once in WB, you don't need a car

http://www.snowbus.com/

9. Re: Planning our trip to Whistler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2013, 10:17