We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski Trip - Late December or Early April?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Ski Trip - Late December or Early April?

We are planning our next trip to Whistler. We've always come in February (non-holiday week) on previous trips. Unfortunately, this year we only can make the trip either the last week of December (holiday time), or the first week of April. Please let me know your thoughts on the better time to come, with the number one priority being good skiing conditions. Thanks!

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
702 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski Trip - Late December or Early April?

Hi Marie here at Whistler.com

This is a tough question! The last week of December could bring some incredible powder skiing - if that is your thing. I had one of the best ever powder days on Christmas day. The weather is typically more stormy and colder at this time of year. The end of December last year saw cold temperatures and blue skies with great skiing.

The first week of April should be a great time too. There will be a guaranteed snow base, longer days and often more sun. There could be less powder skiing, more groomed runs and 'spring' skiing at this time of year (though it could do anything). It will certainly be warmer in April. A nice time of the year to apres on the patios.

Room rates and lift tickets will be more expensive during the Holidays. It will be busier on the mountain. April will be cheaper and quieter. However, the Holidays are very special time in Whistler with a wonderful atmosphere and lots going on.

Hope that helps....

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,580 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski Trip - Late December or Early April?

I avoid holidays at ski areas like the plague. They are SO expensive and crowded. So it depends on if you are like me in that way, or if you don't mind high prices and crowds (I know some people like the decorations and holiday atmosphere). Have you checked hotel prices? If budget is a concern that could decide this for you.

My experience is that it will be a toss up re: conditions--late December will be better at Whistler than any other resort in North America in terms of coverage, but it's possible the highest alpine runs won't be filled in yet. And April you'll have longer days, which I think is nice, and great coverage, but of course more chance for warmer temperatures and poorer snow quality. It should be good up high at least, though.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ski Trip - Late December or Early April?

First week of April...Xmas is crowded...all depends on what type of skier or skiing you want to do...spring vs mid season....

Atlanta
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski Trip - Late December or Early April?

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning toward first week of April to avoid the crowds, and from what it sounds like, have a better chance at good conditions. I understand there will be less powder, but sounds like better overall coverage, and still good skiing up high. Only question is whether my daughter, who will probably be in one of the ski camps, will get good enough snow closer to mid-mountain where they do the kids lessons...

Perth and Kinross...
Level Contributor
688 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ski Trip - Late December or Early April?

I suspect there will be plenty snow in areas such as Olympic just off mid station from the gondola for the kids ski school.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ski Trip - Late December or Early April?

yep...early April no worries...only get corn snow near the bottom of the hill more the late April early May time frame..

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ski Trip - Late December or Early April?

i'm wondering the same thing too. i've checked the whistler website and the peak seems to start Dec 22- Jan 4 but school holidays start Dec 16 - Jan 3 for BC (can any mums/dads confirm the school holiday dates please? ).

I had a bad experience with skiing with kids around, especially if ski camp for kids is on. But i want to experience Christmas on the snow (coming from Australia, Christmas is always HOT). Because i'm only a beginner (intend to go with snow school), having to battle the beginner grounds and lifts with kids definitely is a put off than high rates.

Is it worth spending Christmas on the slopes? much activities happening?

will there be much snow early Dec?

Is Whistler or Banff (Lake Louise/Sunshine village) better for beginner skiing?

apologies for the many questions, it will be my 1st time skiing in Canada :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,394 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ski Trip - Late December or Early April?

Hi loveducks ~

I'm going to suggest you head back to the Whistler Forum and post your question as a new question because your situation is really different than the discussion that is underway for BLHAtlanta. You are coming at a different time of year, you have completely different needs as well which have nothing to do with BLHAtlanta. Your questions deserve unique answers.

Winter break at Christmas will be: last day of school Friday Dec 21, first day back January 7th.

Edited: 28 July 2012, 14:02
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ski Trip - Late December or Early April?

thanks for the suggestion, i'll do that!

10. Re: Ski Trip - Late December or Early April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2013, 10:16