We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear out at night in Whistler in March

Which Whistler hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Camberley, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
What to wear out at night in Whistler in March

I am going skiing in Whistler for th first time in March and i really dont know what to wear in the evening. Is it casual or dressy?

Also skiing itself, will i be ok with a base layer and ski jacket or will i need to wear a fleece too?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

North Vancouver
Level Contributor
19 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear out at night in Whistler in March

Whistler is quite casual, even the nice restaurants jeans and such are ok.

As for skiing there can be a big swing in temperature between the top and bottom of the mountain. Best to dress in layers. I would recommend a fleece and ski jacket, that's my go to in Whistler.

Enjoy your trip!

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear out at night in Whistler in March

I run cold, but I'm never with less than 2 heavy wool base layers and my insulated jacket.And that's my absolute minimum. Whistler can get windy--there are certain lifts where it's ALWAYS blowing hard, and boy that gets cold, even in March.

The very nicest restaurants might require more than casual wear. I like to dress up but have overdressed so many times at ski resorts I finally have learned to just bring skinny jeans and knee high boots and a good sweater; but, walking into Araxi (one of the better places in Whistler), I felt underdressed. 90% of places, though, jeans are fine.

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear out at night in Whistler in March

For the evening, I think if you go with something dressy in the nicer restaurants such as Araxi that Christy mentioned you'll be fine. More casual establishments such as Earls, 21 Steps... family type places casual is fine. And dressy in Whistler can be a nice pair of jeans with heals and a nice top. If you think jeans are a bit too casual for your own tastes, a pair of slack is sufficient. FYI - even at the Bearfoot Bistro, I dine in Jeans.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
942 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear out at night in Whistler in March

I skied Whistler in base layer, long sleeve tee, short sleeve tee, ski jacket with shell & fleece liner. Some days it was below -30 C and very cold especially on the long chairs.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear out at night in Whistler in March

ski town so very casual. jeans, t shirt...what ever your fancy. as for skiing, would do base (lifa/polypro) then shirt then jacket...drop the fleece..depends on how hot you get skiing..

Shropshire, England
Level Contributor
394 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear out at night in Whistler in March

If you want to dress up - then just add smarter top to the mandatory jeans. That's as much as you will need.

Ski wise - I go for base layer, long-sleeved t-shirt than ski jacket with fleece.

Anymore than that and I become too hot from the exertion - even on the coldest day.

If you find that your hands or feet are cold then add another layer to your body - once your central core is warm enough your body will allow the heat to get to your extremities. I have known people spend, spend, spend on expensive gloves and socks to solve the problem.... complete waste of money.

Edited: 19 December 2012, 11:10
7. Re: What to wear out at night in Whistler in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2013, 05:15